Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Wire termination crimping tool?

yes. Problem exists when distributor does not distinguish between them. Then you have to go and check the maker;s site.

McMaster is bad, because they usually do not show the maker, and you get pig in poke.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

You mentioned grounding wires but not size. if you need to put lugs on bigger grounding cables like maybe 6-8 gauge and bigger .if you don't wanna solder them you'll need a lug crimper. they make them that you hit with a hammer here's a link they also carry them at electrical supply stores and some welding stores. usually won't find them in a regular hardware store https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...BAgKEBQ&adurl=

Quote Originally Posted by umahunter View Post
    You mentioned grounding wires but not size. if you need to put lugs on bigger grounding cables like maybe 6-8 gauge and bigger .if you don't wanna solder them you'll need a lug crimper. they make them that you hit with a hammer here's a link they also carry them at electrical supply stores and some welding stores. usually won't find them in a regular hardware store https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai=...BAgKEBQ&adurl=
    I have a hydraulic cutter and crimper that we use for cables on our forestry equipment. Big winches and such. It connects into the hydraulic ports on the tractor or skidder.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Man o man, this electrickery stuff is expensive. I just spent 550 euros on strippers and crimpers. Now I have to build these machines!
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by umahunter View Post
    Better use ”bolt cutter style” crimper or hydraulic crimper. Smash-on crimps might be good enough for welders but I wouldnt use them for anything more serious.

I like my Klein stripper. About $30.00 USA. Has the stripper up front and the crimper in back. I had two older and cheaper ones that were the reverse and I find having the stripper up front easier to use for what ever reason. Had them for years now and bought my daughter and son in law one for a gift.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Better use ”bolt cutter style” crimper or hydraulic crimper. Smash-on crimps might be good enough for welders but I wouldn't use them for anything more serious.
    A few years back I bought one (”bolt cutter style” crimper) for a Christmas present for a friend of mine since he makes up a lot of battery cables at home. It's dieless but adjustable for a range of sizes and IIRC from #4 to 4/0 cable. He a mechanic by trade and says he really likes it and wishes he had one for his day job.
    Last edited by Arcane; 02-07-2019 at 10:40 AM.

You have now already bought what you need but I'll throw in my two cents anyway.
    I have used the Weidmuller cut/strip/crimp tool which is very fast as you keep the same tool in your hand while you work but it makes a U shaped crimp which I don't like. It also jams every few hundred crimps where you have to disassemble the tool completely to free it.
    My favourite at work is the side entry square Knipex, but it's expensive. I use a Chinese copy at home which works just as well.
    The frontal entry Knipex crimper I don't like as the crimp is all serrated and gets chewed again in a cage clamp.
    For ring terminals get a ratchet crimper for uninsulated terminals, any cheap one with the blue red yellow sizes works ok. The insulated ones are a bit dodgy as you are not sure how the plastic is ruining the crimp. Very large sizes is another ball game but I don't think that's relevant here.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    Man o man, this electrickery stuff is expensive. I just spent 550 euros on strippers and crimpers. Now I have to build these machines!
    You forgot to tell us what you got so we could all be assholes and comment on how we would spend your money differently
    You're denying us that pleasure after this large steaming pile of opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by ikdor View Post
    You forgot to tell us what you got so we could all be assholes and comment on how we would spend your money differently
    You're denying us that pleasure after this large steaming pile of opinions?
    What makes you think I forgot! They are all knipex is all I am saying.