Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess what's coming tomorrow?

Default Guess what's coming tomorrow?

Ordered it with a 3phase motor this time...

Exciting times! Looking forward to your comparison of the two machines.

woohoo! fingers crossed it turns out to be a keeper! Variable speed will be lovely to have too.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Ordered it with a 3phase motor this time...
    I'm guessing....another fine piece of machinery from Pain and Misery Machinery Inc.

Just kidding, I hope they gave this lathe close scrutiny before shipping it to you.

Going by the pic, at least it is a TECO and not a Huanyang...

I know some do not like them, but while a TECO may be cheap, at least it is a cheap version of an industrial device, not just a cheap device.....

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Congrats! Start thinking about getting some ball screws for it and start deciding what controller you're going to use
    Work hard play hard

Friday?
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Darn it Bob beat me to it..

Quote Originally Posted by Bob La Londe View Post
    Friday?
    Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Darn it Bob beat me to it..
    Tomorrow would be today, which is a Thursday.
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    Going by the pic, at least it is a TECO and not a Huanyang...

I know some do not like them, but while a TECO may be cheap, at least it is a cheap version of an industrial device, not just a cheap device.....
    Huan Yang (real ones) are just fine as long as you operate them within spec with a reasonable safety margin. I run a number of VFDs on different pieces of equipment and they all seem to work just fine. Delta, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, KB, and yes Huan Yang. The only one I ever cooked was a Sunfar set at 667 hz before I learned a little bit about setting up VFDs. I even have 2 that run on 110V. I have heard that ANY VFD can blow caps on power up if its been on the shelf for a very long time or the equipment has sat unused, but I have not seen that. Some VFDs I have purchased wound up sitting on the shelf for a couple years before they were ready to go into their project. I spent almost 3 years retrofitting my KMB1 before I ran the spindle with its Mitsubishi VFD.

All things being equal I prefer Hitachi or Mitsubishi over Huan Yang because they are overbuilt with a safety margin. What it says in the manual is what it can run. A Huan Yang run at full spec "may" degrade and fail, but I have not experienced it. That being said. How often are you really running a machine at max load spec? Maybe for a short time sure, but not continuously.

Now I don't believe that all the Huan Yang VFDs you can buy on EBAY came out the front door at the factory. LOL. I suspect many of them came out of the dumpster or were bought as bulk from the seconds and rejects bins, repaired and resold. Did you ever notice that for years every lowest price Chinese reseller seemed to use the same Huan Yang photo with the LCD display face label peeling up slightly? LOL.

SIDE NOTE: About caps. Some years back there was a rash of computer mother board failures due to bad Chinese caps on the board for the power circuits. I suspect most manufacturers (including that cap manufacturer) has solved that problem as I have not heard of that problem in equipment newer than that. It might be related to the cap issue with VFDs, but I heard even good name brand VFDs were susceptible to the shelf storage and non-use issue.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.