Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guess what's coming tomorrow?

I hope the new machine is awesome!

I have read that VFDs do suffer from the bad cap problems, and that they degrade just sitting on the shelf. I've read that buying used VFDs is a real crapshoot. Good thing I didn't consider that when I bought my Hitachi. I got a very nice deal on it via 'bay and it has been flawless. I do see huge numbers of used VFDs for sale at auction. I'm now more reluctant to consider them.

I have read that some VFD mfg's have a process for bringing them up after storage, apparently to protect or re-form the caps. Or maybe it is something that is supposed to be done to them while in storage, at regular intervals. I haven't read about specifics and am curious. The manual on my hitachi is large and intimidating - maybe 300 pages. Fortunately I found settings on the 'net and didn't need to dive too deep.

For anyone wanting to get more info on electrolytic capacitors, I recommend: https://www.badcaps.net/forum/index.php?

My Bridgeport has a Teco, works well, but I purchased it for the HP rating, not the current it can handle. I have a slow ramp up on it to keep the current down. On the lathe this time, I went by maximum current. The lathe motor is 1.5 hp, max 10 amps. This Teco drive is rated for 3hp, 10.5 amps. Also got the dynamic braking resistor to help with the higher mass on a lathe. It should stop much quicker. Still waiting for UPS freight.
    300$ for this Vector drive, full featured.
    Last edited by RB211; 02-07-2019 at 03:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RB211 View Post
    Still waiting for UPS freight.
    all I have to say

Does not matter, the OP bought a TECO, which should be OK. Even if it failed, it would not be likely to fail in a ball of fire....

Just sayin.... you are correct about the "side door deals" on the HY that get sold on ebay. There are also the ones ONLY for specific high speed spindles, being sold as general purpose, etc. And the manuals that in some cases, at least, would have to get better to really suck.

That all said, having seen the innards of some of the HY, they were so far from being a UL acceptable device.... well.... I wouldn't even plug one in. They may be better now, but they were built really badly at one time.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I've got several VFDs. A Huanyang VFD that came with my 2.2kW spindle, A Mitsubishi FR-D700 for the Bridgeport,
    and a LAPOND SVD-ES for my Surface grinder and all of them function well and haven't had any problems at all. I've only played with the Huanyang VFD for a few minutes after setting it up, but it functioned perfectly.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-2KW-ER20-...p/232493623262

Work hard play hard

They said between 1 and 5. It is now pass 5...

Can't trust stuff that goes by air freight LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    Can't trust stuff that goes by air freight LOL
    I wonder how much they would charge for a 1300lb shipment via air? I know the 747 is about 10,000 to 14,000 per hour operating cost, maybe more. Could carry 190 of these 12x36T lathes... Would bulk out before gross out...

Most likely its the local trucking company. I've had outfits tell me all kinds of stories about why a delivery sat in their depot instead of being delivered.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.