Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: OT Chinese Legos

Quote Originally Posted by JRouche View Post
    I didnt have either. No linkin logs, erector set or legos, too poor. But my friend had the erector sets. Man those were fun. Endless what you could build.

I inherited my son's legos when he moved out. All loose. He has a set that you program on a computer and it has sensors and stuff. Pretty interesting. JR
    Wow! No link'n Logs, and you turned out OK?

Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
    Tinker Toys
    Ahhh yes tinker toys, predecessor to the more serious stuff but still was fun when getting a start with that stuff...

Always good to state something like that and end it with a question mark behind it, not exactly a vote of confidence but you never can be too sure of anything lol...

all the toys listed, when i've used or seen them used, were an exercise is creativity; a kid sits down with a bunch of building blocks and makes something. They get totally absorbed and every time its different.

That's a very different experience than these lego kits where you sit down and follow an instruction booklet until you make whats on the box. My kids, adults now, will still end on the floor building with lego if there's a youngster around and the toys come out. But following a 78 page manual, put this here, put that there? Its dull in comparison.

Quote Originally Posted by Mcgyver View Post
    all the toys listed, when i've used or seen them used, were an exercise is creativity; a kid sits down with a bunch of building blocks and makes something. They get totally absorbed and every time its different.

That's a very different experience than these lego kits where you sit down and follow an instruction booklet until you make whats on the box. My kids, adults now, will still end on the floor building with lego if there's a youngster around and the toys come out. But following a 78 page manual, put this here, put that there? Its dull in comparison.
    That 30 year old crane was in pieces, in a giant plastic bin, because I did just that. I spent more time finding the pieces than I did putting it back together from a manual I downloaded. I even had to buy some missing pieces from Brick Link.
    It was Lego Technic that taught me about gear ratios early on in life.
    I once made an electric powered car out of my legos, and even cut up a Lego tire and made a centrifugal slipper clutch of sorts, just playing around with what I had. This new crane is 100% compatible, and isn't a copy of any known Lego kit. I could take it apart and use the parts just as I did as a kid.
    I was hoping my four year old was going to put it together with me, turns out he just wants to play with it.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Hmmm, sounds interesting, as long as there's room for a multitude of variables I think it's still holding true to it's original design which included tons of imagination, it's hard for me to grasp that with all that "pre-fab" external shell that you can still find room for that kind of internal expansion as everything external would still have to fit right, perhaps some of the challenge ?
    Examples of rack and pinion steering, worm drives, bevel gears, and of course, pinions.

Some more...

I kinda like it --- looks like you can change some pivots and leverage ratio's around and stuff, if that's the case it would be great for kids to learn stuff on - and wow what a pretty package,,,

the old school stuff was way more expandable though im sure.... but whatever gets a kid motivated these days - anythings better than staring at a stupid screen...

https://brickset.com/sets/8865-1/Test-Car

Oh the good old times.
    That era Technic Legos had interference fit pins, o boy those were hard for fingers and most of them are full of teeth marks

No... I in no way even claimed to be ok. Still trying to get there though, long road JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info