Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: accuracy drilling small holes

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Hard on the drill bit even with guide bushing, end mill works better.
    I agree, a little tough on bits but can be done on simple drill press was surprised how easy it drilled just have to be gentle on the start.Drill bits are cheap and kinda of a consumable item around my shop especially the small ones.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Hard on the drill bit even with guide bushing, end mill works better.
    That could be. But where time is money and lots of them need to be done I'd bet that the jig in the drill press is both faster and allows the shop to put the less skilled guy to work so the mill can be doing other more demanding things that bring in more money.

Back when I prepared the old motorcycle for track days and some club level racing (part of the "Rider" username) I had to safety wire a lot of key areas of the bike. I cross drilled between opposite flats just to avoid this nasty angled adjacent flat issue.

Most of the holes we drilled in bolt heads were 1/32", and most likely in all six corners. Sometimes the holes were drilled flat to flat, it depended on the drawing instructions, and all were deburred. Even twelve point heads were drilled, and nuts if they weren't castellated, or self locking. Large batches warrant the cost of jigs with quick replaceable bushes. Our driller was highly skilled in drilling and tapping, to get it right 99.99% of the time, you don't want just anyone.
    Last edited by old mart; 02-12-2019 at 09:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    Most of the holes we drilled in bolt heads were 1/32", and most likely in all six corners. Sometimes the holes were drilled flat to flat, it depended on the drawing instructions, and all were deburred. Even twelve point heads were drilled, and nuts if they weren't castellated, or self locking. Large batches warrant the cost of jigs with quick replaceable bushes. Our driller was highly skilled in drilling and tapping, to get it right 99.99% of the time, you don't want just anyone.
    The guy must have been pretty talented and have soft hands to control something that small.