Thread: OT - Source for solvent and cleaner friendly pump sprayers

Default OT - Source for solvent and cleaner friendly pump sprayers

Wondering what folks have found for cheap pump sprayers that last when using various cleaners and solvent based liquids.

The little piston plunger tends to get sticky, and the spring isn't sufficient to push the lever back out. I assume it is the seal material breaking down or swelling.

Even my Simple Green branded pump sprayer got sticky, and I only ever used it with SG. I've been squirting a little olive oil in there and it helps for a while. A universal sprayer I got from Ace hardware quickly got sticky with CRC 3-36.

Flylo mentioned the old WD40 pump sprayers last forever. He's right - I've had one of those that has worked flawlessly for decades.

A work-around might be to take the spring out and stretch it, making it stronger, but I haven't tried that. The dollar store has a variety of dollar pump sprayers, some with metal bottles (haven't had trouble with the bottles, yet). I need to try those. I get some pretty strong alkaline cleaner in spray bottles, but haven't tried to re-purpose those yet.

For non-spray, saline solution squeeze bottles, from contact lens wearers, work really well. They are available in screw cap and flip top.

I've used cheap garden pump sprayers with good luck. I usually try to empty them out and rinse them when I'm done with my cleaning project. As to the WD40, a few years ago I bought a gallon of WD40 and a WD40 sprayer that was sitting next to it. Little pump sprayer that probably holds 12 ounces or so. A couple of years later the sprayer is junk, try to spray with it and end up with more WD on your hands than out of the nozzle.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

Mesto.

Note that they have different version (seal material) for mineral spririts, ketones(acetone) and caustics

I have a couple of these, https://www.homedepot.com/p/RL-Flo-M...56HD/100164531 One with simple green in it and one with Mean green in it. I. Only use mean green out side it has a lot of Lyle in it.
    The sprayers work great, just posh the button. Good for large projects, higher volume than trigger pumps. And they last.

I have similar pressure pots to the one in true temper's link. One I use for brake cleaner, the other for wd40. They are the only type I have found to stand up to brake cleaner, none of the trigger-gun type last very long at all.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

That is interesting - and sad - that the recent WD40 sprayers are junk.

I have one of the air pump sprayers. It is too big for a lot of tasks - both the volume of fluid and the bulk of the unit. I see they make 1qt units. That is an option. I know those are better for some tasks, but I also like the control of the hand lever style. The air aspect, due to not knowing the pressure, makes the flow rate less certain.