Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OT: Site blocked

Default OT: Site blocked

Hi,
    Today, when I try to access the site with my Android tablet with chrome, I get a "Dell Sonic wall. Site blocked by the administrator " message. I had to install Opera to be able to write this. Is this normal?
    Helder Ferreira
    Setúbal, Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Noitoen View Post
    Hi,
    Today, when I try to access the site with my Android tablet with chrome, I get a "Dell Sonic wall. Site blocked by the administrator " message. I had to install Opera to be able to write this. Is this normal?
    Yes, some hotels in foreign countries do that to me as well.

This site is the only one that I ever access that says in red right before the web address "Not secure". I have no idea why.

Brian
    OPEN EYES, OPEN EARS, OPEN MIND

THINK HARDER

BETTER TO HAVE TOOLS YOU DON'T NEED THAN TO NEED TOOLS YOU DON'T HAVE

MY NAME IS BRIAN AND I AM A TOOLOHOLIC

It's because homeshopmachinist is not, yet, using https on their web server. There's technically, little reason why they would need to, but some firewall admins and the authors of Chrome, feel that this is a Bad Thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Noitoen View Post
    Hi,
    The Dell Sonic Wall is most likely a tool your system admins installed to protect your network from things like ransom-ware. Ransom-ware can bring a company to it's knees and cost hundreds of thousands in lost productivity and time needed to rebuild the systems.

Using Opera probably gave you access to their VPN and thus bypassed the security that was put in place by Sonic Wall. Some companies find this to be a punishable offense, so it's worth checking before using it more.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post
    The Dell Sonic Wall is most likely a tool your system admins installed to protect your network from things like ransom-ware. Ransom-ware can bring a company to it's knees and cost hundreds of thousands in lost productivity and time needed to rebuild the systems.

Using Opera probably gave you access to their VPN and thus bypassed the security that was put in place by Sonic Wall. Some companies find this to be a punishable offense, so it's worth checking before using it more.

Dan
    seriously. companies can be really bad about this.

Yea. It is the lack of HTTPS availability on this site. It cost $$$ to implement and the smaller ones don't want to spend the money to upgrade.

Dan
    Dell sonic ... happened to me also couple of times, its some junk on home shop machinist servers

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Dell sonic ... happened to me also couple of times, its some junk on home shop machinist servers
    While it might be, it's a firewall device more normally used to restrict the access to internet sites by employees. It would be odd for such a device installed at George's network to send that message to people accessing the web servers from the internet.

SonicWall, originally a private company headquartered in San Jose, California, and Dell subsidiary from 2012 to 2016, sells a range of Internet appliances primarily directed at content control and network security. These include devices providing services for network firewalls, UTMs, VPNs, and anti-spam for email.
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

While it might be, it's a firewall device more normally used to restrict the access to internet sites by employees. It would be odd for such a device installed at George's network to send that message to people accessing the web servers from the internet.
    I ASSumed its closer to server side problem as quite many US websites appear to run some stupid geolocation block nowadays.
    MSC website says: "MSCdirect.com is currently not available for your use."

Kodiak tools (one of this site advertisers) has blocked potential customers not to even view their website with the Dell Sonic firewall

"Alert This site has been blocked by the network administrator.
    Block reason: Gateway GEO-IP Filter Alert

IP address: 85.76.xx.xxx

Connection initiated from country: Finland"

This all on my home computer(s) that doesn't run any dell crapware. And ISP's in here are less likely the culprit, we don't have mr Paijit