Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New wheels for the tool grinder- suggestions please?

ok, blow the spits too but do you really need more than droplets on a grinder? My spitter would be driven by pressure (say 25 psi) so it would travel. Could easily put it in the middle of an air source.

I have a kool-mist.. hate it, don't use it. Maybe blow bubbles int the container so it would spit.
    Last edited by lakeside53; 02-11-2019 at 01:00 AM.

I bought one of these for my surface grinder. I have not used it yet but I'm just going to mist tap water since I really don't care about the consequences of just using water on my surface grinder. Maybe when I'm done, I'll wipe the mag chuck down, and any visible water still on the machine and spray some WD40 around the machine after each use.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Work hard play hard

have one, tried it,. hate that one too. I turned of the coolant and use it to blow air (milling, not grinding)
    Last edited by lakeside53; 02-11-2019 at 02:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lakeside53 View Post
    Remember... grinding carbide has health risks... Take care.
    I wonder if HSS is any safer?
    Cobalt binder is the nasty stuff in tungsten carbide and many hss grades contain same amount of cobalt as carbide does.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    I wonder if HSS is any safer?
    Cobalt binder is the nasty stuff in tungsten carbide and many hss grades contain same amount of cobalt as carbide does.
    After seeing the black snot that came out of my nose from larger grinding operations I have two methods I use now.

If I just need to do a small job that will only take up to around 40 seconds I just gulp a big one and hold my breath. If it runs longer I'll step way four or five paces breath a few times and come back to finish the job holding my breath again.

If it's longer than that I get out the good face sealing dust mask.

This applies for any and all grinding. I hadn't heard about carbide being bad but I figure that any of this stuff can't be good. I know even a lot of grinding on mild steel leaves a taste in the back of the throat. Even done outdoors it adds up. In the shop it's just nasty.

Even just doing a custom cutter from HSS makes a huge mess of metal and stone dust and I can feel it on my head and around my face at the edges of the face mask. So after the shop session those jobs involve a change of clothes with the shop stuff going in the laundry right away and me into the shower. Otherwise I'm tracking that stuff all over the place.

I use fine diamond disks for both carbide and HSS but for coarse roughing HSS I'd recommend something else. Maybe I could do with only one diamond coarseness but I like to polish my carbide tooling to final edge with 3000 grit wheel.
    If you have use belt grinder if you don't want to keep swapping grinding wheels?

So diamond works for both? That's good to know. And thanks for getting the thread back on topic... .

Since the grinder is double ended and the motor is reversible I don't mind having a more coarse grit number on one end and a finer grit for finishing or touching up on the other. But for that to work it means that the wheels have to work with both types of material.

I don't have a belt grinder.... yet.... but it may be a few years. And realistically I'm of an age and the belt grinder "project" is far enough down the list that I may run out of time before it gets done. So I'm looking for easier and more timely options. Like new coarse and fine wheels for this tool grinder.

This is what I have always used for AlOx:
    https://www.amazon.com/34948-Plate-M.../dp/B07H9SQ1ZS

metalmagpie

Diamond works for both IF you run them slow enough. If you see sparks, you are too fast to be grinding steel on diamond.
    The diamond/carbon will dissolve into the steel.
    Yes, I do it on mine, but it's much slower than the common 3600 rpm, and is smaller diameter.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Diamond on steel is a good reason to use continuous coolant. Buy cheap diamond wheels for steel and toss them when they wear out, or buy expensive CBN and Diamonds wheels... I can argue both ways.