Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: What are the common triangles, OT, laying floors ??

Why does it need to be a right triangle? Measure the two legs and the hypotenuse and plug the numbers into a CAD program. For extra credit, calculate what angle each course needs to be cut at in order for the course at the far wall to be parallel to the far wall.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Strip flooring? Don't see that mentioned anywhere. I assumed tiles, parquet or some type of pattern.

Whatever he's doing, it seems to matter to Ringo, and that's all that matters.

Why do so many people have an irresistible need to tell him he doesn't need to know what he wants to know, or that he needs to know something else instead?

Some people on this forum love to say "There are no stupid questions." And when someone asks a question, they assume it's a stupid one, and answer accordingly.
    Maybe not that he doesn't need to know but that the answer if there is one, is not an easy number like he wanted. The rest is mostly us talking among ourselves in the time honored role of derailment....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rand View Post
    None of the corners in my house seem to be square to start with.
    No surprise, you are from UK so your house is probably older than Pythagoras.

Hardest walls and floors I've ever found to square or level were built with balloon framing.

I tiled my kitchen floor with 12 inch square tiles on a diamond pattern. There was a critical point in the pattern where the floor transitioned to the wood flooring in the adjacent dining area. At that point the transition cut back at a 45 degree angle to edge of a door going outside. So the critical point where the pattern had to be perfect was out in the middle of the space several feet from any wall. I used what little I remembered from High school geometry class on layout perpendicular lines and bisecting angles using a compass and straight edge. I got my neighbor to help. Used a chalk line and a magic marker as the compass.
    Worked great.
    The best part was when the cabinet installer placed the island, one edge of the island landed on the edge of a grout line and followed it parallel for over two feet.
    You could not see any change. Blind squirrel got the acorn that day.

Quote Originally Posted by cameron View Post
    Strip flooring? Don't see that mentioned anywhere. I assumed tiles, parquet or some type of pattern.

Whatever he's doing, it seems to matter to Ringo, and that's all that matters.

Why do so many people have an irresistible need to tell him he doesn't need to know what he wants to know, or that he needs to know something else instead?

Some people on this forum love to say "There are no stupid questions." And when someone asks a question, they assume it's a stupid one, and answer accordingly.
    You're missing the point cranky pants.
    Maybe my post was attempt get clarification, gain some understanding and one of my un-written questions was he laying strip flooring.

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    You're missing the point cranky pants.
    Maybe my post was attempt get clarification, gain some understanding and one of my un-written questions was he laying strip flooring.
    I answered your perfectly rational question in the first two sentences, reggie, with no disrespect intended.

The rest was just general bitching, not aimed at you.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    If you start at one wall, you run several risks: that wall may not be straight and you may wind up with a thin strip as you proceed along it and the opposite wall may have a thin, odd looking strip.
    Any kind of TnG planks or click-lock laminate needs to be started at one side, they do not work well going both ways from the middle. That's why laying out that 1st strip well and scribing it to the wall so as to make the last strip not a sliver is important.