Thread: Got a surface table at last.

Default Got a surface table at last.

I have been looking on and off for something a bit bigger than the 12" square piece of float glass which we have used for the past three years.
    Last Thursday evening, I saw one on ebay with a start price of 50 and 3 hours to go. It was collect only and about 30 miles away. I measured the space in the back of my Corsa and it was 25" front to back without lowering the seats, a nice tight fit for a 2 foot square plate. I bid 55 and got it for 50 as I was the only bidder.
    I picked it up on Saturday evening, well the seller and myself just managed to lift it into a protective lining of cardboard and it sat there in the car until today (Sunday) when I took it to the museum to unload.
    As for getting it out of the car, I had a stroke of luck, it was upside down, and there were four 5/16 UNF holes near the corners tapped right through. Two of those holes now have lifting brackets held on by twelve point titanium bolts, and the engine hoist made short work of removing it from the car.
    I am doubly glad to get it out of the car, my spare wheel was underneath it.

One of the cast iron tables I gather from the threaded holes. Perhaps a picture once it's set up?

Lots of granite ones have threaded holes, too.

I got a surface plate recently also.
    I was browsing online and the ad said free shipping over $75. I clicked on a small 12x18 surface plate that was about $90 as I remember.
    Since I was really doubting that they would actually send a piece of granite for free, I simply waited to see if was gonna happen.
    Sure enough, the delivery driver heaves and puffs, and broke a sweat getting it to my front door.
    He asks "just what is that" ?? I told him it is a flat rock. The look on his face was priceless.

I wouldn't have dared to lift a granite in that way, they usually have threaded inserts glued in. I had two diameters depth of 5/16" UNF in the cast iron, pretty safe to me. It weighed about 150lb, 67kilos.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post
    I got a surface plate recently also.
    I was browsing online and the ad said free shipping over $75. I clicked on a small 12x18 surface plate that was about $90 as I remember.
    Since I was really doubting that they would actually send a piece of granite for free, I simply waited to see if was gonna happen.
    Sure enough, the delivery driver heaves and puffs, and broke a sweat getting it to my front door.
    He asks "just what is that" ?? I told him it is a flat rock. The look on his face was priceless.
    Oh man... you should have had a camera!

I'm just really impressed that you held yourself back from buying a bunch of other goodies.