Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart phone apps

Not strictly apps, but the cheap borescopes that you can get now (under $25) that plug into an android phone are great when the need arises. Same for the small USB microscopes and vehicle OBD readers if you like to work on your cars. They don't cost much and are very handy problem solvers from time to time.

I use an Iphone for most actual phone stuff but have an orphaned Android phone (not activated on cell but works fine on wifi) just for doing shop stuff.

You left out Windows based smart phones. Or should I say dumb phones with screens? It seems that whenever I want an app for my Windows based phone, it is not available. Seems like Microsoft would be concerned by that, but they are not.

Before I get another phone I want to know which one has the most apps for people like us. I don't care about ordering pizza. I want the best one for shop and engineering work.

Quote Originally Posted by danlb View Post
    You got a smart phone, but what apps you use depend on the OS (MSmobile, Apple or Android).

Some of the most useful Android apps are usually pre-installed. Google Maps gives you navigation, traffic flow and local businesses. Weather Central gives you forecasts, etc. There are lots of apps included, but they depend on which carrier your phone is made for.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by true temper View Post
    I got my first smart phone a couple of weeks ago.

You poor sap.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post

Before I get another phone I want to know which one has the most apps for people like us. I don't care about ordering pizza. I want the best one for shop and engineering work.
    Most of "our" type of apps apps are available for both of the other two choices... I-Phone and Android, and with Android 8.x there isn't much difference between the two choices now.

Most smart phones have Bluetooth, which can be used with a terminal program. RS-232 with wires is like using a telegraph to send email

Here is a cool tool (for Android only):
    https://walabot.com/diy?keyword=see%...YaAqlmEALw_wcB

I like my cheap (<$100) Samsung Galaxy Tab A. I sometimes spend (waste) hours on it playing billiards (pool), Solitaire, and Free Cell. I dislike Apple products. My cell phone is $50 LG306G with 3629 minutes left (TracFone). About $99/year for air time. I'm good until 6/13/09. I use it almost only for phone calls and text, and once in a while for pictures, although I usually use and prefer my Nikon Coolpix L22.
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 02-10-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Baz View Post
    What do I do with a terminal emulator program when my iphone doesn't even have an RS232 port?
    I use it to ssh into my server when I'm out of town. I don't leave the SSH port open, I have to remotely trigger it first to enable remote access.

It comes in handy when my wife calls and asks why the internet is not working.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Thanks a bunch for the ideas, borescope was on the list already. I didn’t know about the OBD reader or the microscope. I have an IPhone X. It’s really nice for checking business emails and a lot of other things I didn’t have before. I like the level and compass, one my wife suggested I really like is Shazam, if a song is playing on the radio Shazam will tell the Title who’s singing it.
    I really like Tapatalk now I can figure out how to post photos, its great.

Kasa for my TP-link smart switches, Amazon Alexa for bridging Alexa to all of my smart home features, Bond for setting up all my ceiling fans to be "smart", Nest for my Nest thermostat, Google Maps, Google Translate because I travel the world against my will, calculator, QPython3 to run a script I made to do the fuel check on a 747, MyFitness Pal for counting my calories, exercise, to ensure I don't die an early death, Mcmaster Carr, Fusion360 to show people what I do in CAD, Amazon, Ebay, Banggood to buy Chinese Lego's, etc.
    My phone is an Android Samsung S8, and have the S3 Gear watch for monitoring heart rate and exercise tracking, and I have one of those Samsung QLED TV's. Yes, Alexa can turn my TV on and off via voice.
    My wife hates it all!

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Alciatore View Post
    Have you considered just buying a cheap phone without service? You'd use it wifi only. For the use you describe, a larger size might make more sense.

Some of the cheap phones can be pretty cruddy - in regard to screen touch response, etc. Nice hardware like a used iphone6 or similar could run you $50, and you don't need a contract if it was unlocked by the previous carrier (meaning, bill paid in full).

My experience with Apple products has not been good, so I would avoid getting an iPhone or iPad. I'm happy with my $100 Samsung Galaxy Tab A, but I don't use its phone features (if any). There are many third party apps for Android, free or cheap, while for Apple, AFAIK, not so much. You can also get a Windows tablet, such as my WinBook, but although it has Windows 10 and can run many programs, it is difficult to see and use the tiny display. But it could probably also run Ubuntu Linux, which offers even more third party (or open source) apps.

Here is an Android smart phone for $40:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Ouki...AbTest=ae803_4

Or something like this, available at MicroCenter, for $53:
    https://www.microcenter.com/product/...lte-smartphone