Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Smart phone apps

I think the difference between apple and android users is apple users just want to get something done, android users want to fiddle and play. I phones are more intuitive then android. like when I want to face time, I choose face time instead of audio. simple. on my old android phone, I had to borrow a friends I phone, not simple. I know, I could download this or that app, then interface the two and hours later I could try to skype.

It may be that Apple users have a fairly limited set of simple things to do on a computer, such as read/write email, browse the web, use social media, play music, take, view, and edit images. But if I want to set up a serial, Bluetooth, or USB interface to a proprietary electronic device, or edit file metadata, or use FTP to access my web pages, or write and run my own special utility programs, it may be very difficult or impossible. But that is just my viewpoint - I haven't actually researched these possibilities, or tried them (on an Apple product, since I don't own any).

Some info on programming Apple products:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swift_...ming_language)

https://www.apple.com/swift/

https://www.youtube.com/user/AppleProgramming

Last edited by PStechPaul; 02-11-2019 at 11:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by gambler View Post
    I think the difference between apple and android users is apple users just want to get something done, android users want to fiddle and play. I phones are more intuitive then android. like when I want to face time, I choose face time instead of audio. simple. on my old android phone, I had to borrow a friends I phone, not simple. I know, I could download this or that app, then interface the two and hours later I could try to skype.
    My experience was the opposite. The apple products required that I memorize a lot of strange gestures. On the mac it was "open-apple" something to print. On the ipad there were also certain gestures that made things happen. Those carried over to the iphone. The android phone was much easier to use without reading a manual or going to class.

Example: My wife (a computer professional) had a terrible time using my iPhone. She could make and answer a call but was not sure what would happen the rest of the time. She was afraid that an accidental motion would erase something. So she stuck with a flip phone until hers broke. I let her use my (then new) LG Evo and she had no problems negotiating the system. Within minutes she was able to make calls, send texts and play games too.

It does not boil down to "just getting things done" for one group or the other. It was my experience that every apple program has an android equivalent, and the reverse is true too.
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

TAPATALK,You can take a picture ,start a post and insert picture ,and then go into your house and see your post on your desktop .ALL WITHIN 5 MINUTES. Edwin Dirnbeck

Tapatalk for Android:

Tapatalk for Windows:

https://www.softpedia.com/get/Internet/News-Newsgroups-Blog-Tools/Tapatalk.shtml

https://androidappshq.com/tapatalk-f...line-download/

https://www.onmsft.com/news/tapatalk...-windows-phone

You can also use OneDrive for images and make them public so they will appear on forums. But you need the premium version to avoid having them disappear after 24 hours:

https://support.office.com/en-us/art...0-a82024800c07
    Last edited by PStechPaul; 02-12-2019 at 12:25 AM. Reason: links

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    That is definitely a limitation by design, but Apple designs their devices with deterministic performance in mind. MicroSD, MiniSD, USB storage devices, etc. They all can easily fail or perform poorly so not supporting them at all limits the amount of failure modes and also guarantees that the internal storage is known to perform at deterministic rates.

Apple wants to control the user's experience at the cost of flexibility. I too wish the iPhone would support MicroSD for expansion, but when you have a 4K camera recording video, and allow people to record to their own devices, the only guarantee you actually have is it's going to fail for some folks due to external device performance issues for some storage media. Write rates are non-deterministic. If you want 4K video recording to always work without any issues, only recording to known deterministic "high performance" local NVRAM/MRAM/Flash/etc is one way.

I don't agree with everything Apple does and the lack of MicroSD is one issue I have myself, but not supporting volatile storage is something I can understand.
    That's all good for their needs, not mine. What really was the final straw was lack of *proper* VR support. Very poor input support, trying to use a Cardboard app with no input. My Samsung S8 just works, and supports everything. Heck, I even had a telemetry radio plugged into my S8, watching my UAV fly its waypoints, and issuing commands to it. You could never do that with an iOS device.

People are so weird now days.
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by gambler View Post
    Or android users want to do it their way, apple users have to do it "apple way" or not at all. (iPhone user here)
    Some really frustrating limitations on iphone but on the bright side it (mostly) works as expected as long as you stay within their dumbed down idea of how you should use it.

Testing adding shared image on my OneDrive, using drag and drop:

(it shows but got error "text too long - 398536 characters")

10,000 character limit

https://www.howtogeek.com/233339/HOW...IN-WINDOWS-10/

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    People are so weird now days.
    That's spelled WIRED. People are so wired now days. Common mustake.

But it's true that people tend to get defensive about the toys for which they spend hundreds or thousands of dollars.

I was a programmer. 90% of the time I can figure out most apps, operating systems or devices simply by thinking about how I would have designed it. I couldn't quite do that with Apple products. I had to learn their way of program and design, and then use that standard when using their products. Then I could use their apps without fumbling around with their interface.

I liked my iPhone right up to the point when AT&T data network failed in my town for many months at a time. I found that Sprint provided better service, but on an Android platform, at a better price, so I made the jump. Some of the programs I normally used were not available on Android, but there were others that did the same things.

If I had to go back to an iPhone today, I could, but I'd be fumbling with it for a few days while I changed my view of how the UI works.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.