Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bigger vert bandsaws.. opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
    The Grob especially since it can be used as a band filer. Instead of a saw blade, they also will run a file chain for precise die filing
    Each file segment is about 3 to 4 inches long.
    The last auction I saw one ( 10 yrs ago) , went for over 1 K $$ and had 3 new band files in a box besides extra blades.
    I passed on one for $100 at auction. It was in very nice condition, and local. Much smaller than most Grobs, a nice size. I hadn't considered that I could use it was a saw. I didn't really want a monster die filer - don't see the need. I figured the guides would be different, etc.

If it had been the saw version it would have gone for more. Also, there was no blade welder.

Quote Originally Posted by Glug View Post
    I passed on one for $100 at auction. It was in very nice condition, and local. Much smaller than most Grobs, a nice size. I hadn't considered that I could use it was a saw. I didn't really want a monster die filer - don't see the need. I figured the guides would be different, etc.

If it had been the saw version it would have gone for more. Also, there was no blade welder.

The Grob Band Filer was just that a Filer with a type of chain with files attached,it did not except a saw blade.The Doall would do both but guide assembly's were completly different for cutting and filing.The files were riveted on to a flat band strap.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    The Grob Band Filer was just that a Filer with a type of chain with files attached,it did not except a saw blade.
    Thank you. That was my impression at the time. Too bad - it would have made a nice little saw.

As a filer it sure would take up a lot of space. I'll bet it really removed metal. The wide files did seem to be a significant limitation. Given the expense and scarcity of the files, it is hard to justify. I wonder how smooth the finish is, given the joints that connect the files? I know a traditional die filter is very smooth, because there are no joints.

I'd be more inclined to rig up a narrow or wide belt grinder. That would be more versatile. With modern belts, cubitron, etc, it would probably be more economical.

Make sure it has a blade welder, then you can buy bulk lengths of blade.

Had a first for me on Doall this morning was running the blade too fast in some thick Aluminium extrusion and plugs the teeth solid.No harm done just twisted blade and reinstalled took a few light cuts on some thin Aluminium with blade on backwards then reinstalled correctly.

I dont know about the blade welding accessorie.....we had an almost new 24" doall in the shop ...blade welding was always a mysterious outcome and yes we were using the annealer. Wanted to run a hose from a wire welder and try flooding weld with inert gas. Have heard ...and I suspect there is much on this forum on silver soldering the blades..My impression is that its much more consistant wonce you make the fixtures and get set up........the ability to use bulk blade material and repair breaks etc is a must.....there are often buys of bunches of blades that are good width and thickness but either too long or too short and could be pieced together...too.....

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    Make sure it has a blade welder, then you can buy bulk lengths of blade.
    The blade welder is also good for making inside cuts. If you have a blade welder, you can easily make inside cuts like this one by just drilling a hole large enough for the blade to pass through, re-weld the blade, install the blade on the machine that is now also running through the hole in your work piece and proceed to make your inside cuts. When you're done, cut the blade, remove it from the inside of your work piece, re-weld it and put the blade back on the saw.

Work hard play hard

Important detail.. measure height of door opening to shop before getting large bandsaw. It didn't escape my attention, but just barely.

What are folk's thoughts on hydraulic tables (doall)?

Quote Originally Posted by softtail View Post
    What are folk's thoughts on hydraulic tables (doall)?
    My freinds 1963 36" Doall has one it's the $hit,his was all repowered with 1 ph motors including Hyd pump.

I see T-Jaw saws offer similar option.