Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Bigger vert bandsaws.. opinions

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    Don't know if the air pump works never checked. Because of the VFD and the varying motor speed I decided not to use the air pump but rather just plumb into the air lines in my shop with a electric solenoid that turns the air stream on when the saw is running. The pieces of the power feed are missing but the internals are there and operate, I did get the boomerang piece that engages the work for the power feed. I plan on making up the missing feed parts later as well as the rip and miter guides. I have a horizontal bandsaw and been wanting a vertical for that occasional need.

Around my shop the Vertical is used a lot, I have 2 Horizontals a small and large one.I think the fence on metal saws only goes to blade not the whole length of the table.A lot of sqaure tubing will warp like boomerang when splitting it on the saw.Does your speed indicator work?

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    Around my shop the Vertical is used a lot, I have 2 Horizontals a small and large one.I think the fence on metal saws only goes to blade not the whole length of the table.A lot of sqaure tubing will warp like boomerang when splitting it on the saw.Does your speed indicator work?
    Yes, speed indicator works fine.

I recently hauled home a 20" Rockwell Delta, VS plus gearbox. Mid-'50s. Big solid machine. Although not a DoAll, it sure seems like it's going to meet my needs. Nor was it priced like a DoAll.

metalmagpie

Thanks all. I'm in the hinterlands so I won't be getting any smoking deals. Best I can hope for is something semi regional like Spokane.

There's a few Encos out there as well... they look nice, but with Enco gone, and so many other good saws around, why roll the dice.

Quote Originally Posted by nc5a View Post
    I have a DoAll 20" and a DoAll hydraulic feed 26". The 20 " is probably 1970's or 80's vintage and the 26" is late 40's and is a monster. Both run very well and are a dream to use. Both have reeve drives and I've have had no issues with either. You probably won't go wrong with either a DoAll, Grob, Powermatic or a Tannewitz.
    Quote Originally Posted by metalmagpie View Post
    I recently hauled home a 20" Rockwell Delta, VS plus gearbox. Mid-'50s. Big solid machine. Although not a DoAll, it sure seems like it's going to meet my needs. Nor was it priced like a DoAll.

metalmagpie

Would like to see pics of your saws.

Quote Originally Posted by softtail View Post
    Thanks all. I'm in the hinterlands so I won't be getting any smoking deals. Best I can hope for is something semi regional like Spokane.

There's a few Encos out there as well... they look nice, but with Enco gone, and so many other good saws around, why roll the dice.
    T-Jaw is a well built import cast iron body,how far are you from the 49th maybe something north of you is avaliable.Your dollar would be an advantage!

Always wanted a DoAll or a Grob.
    The Grob especially since it can be used as a band filer.
    Instead of a saw blade, they also will run a file chain for precise die filing
    Each file segment is about 3 to 4 inches long.
    The last auction I saw one ( 10 yrs ago) , went for over 1 K $$ and had 3 new band files in a box besides extra blades.
    Rich

I have a 1943 DoAll ML 16. Does everything I need it to do.

N
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
    Always wanted a DoAll or a Grob.
    The Grob especially since it can be used as a band filer.
    Instead of a saw blade, they also will run a file chain for precise die filing
    Each file segment is about 3 to 4 inches long.
    The last auction I saw one ( 10 yrs ago) , went for over 1 K $$ and had 3 new band files in a box besides extra blades.
    Rich

My Doall is made for Filing as well,if I have History correct Doall started with Filing machines in late 20's and didn't put a saw blade On till a couple years later.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    N

My Doall is made for Filing as well,if I have History correct Doall started with Filing machines in late 20's and didn't put a saw blade On till a couple years later.
    Yes, the DoAll ML saws do support filing bands, there is much info about it in the manuals and parts lists. Don't know if the newer models still support it.

DoAll published a book on Band Machining. I had one but some S*B stole it. There was some good information in it and would be worth looking for.