Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bigger vert bandsaws.. opinions

Default Bigger vert bandsaws.. opinions

I've started looking for a used 18-20" vert saw. Seems Grob, DoAll, and Powermatic make up the majority of used offerings, with a few Delta 20"'s in the mix.
    Thoughts on obvious advantages/deficiencies between brands? Other thoughts on features, etc?

There's a Doall 2013-V3 semi near by.. are these newer machines better/worse than the old ones? Has a variable frequency AC drive.

The VFD drives are an improvement IMO over the VS pulley drives of years past.They still have the same guide block design as the old saws,which could be vastly improved by adding carbide running faces.

DoAll,Grob,Powermatic,Tannewitz all make good saws as do some of the import clones.IMO Delta/Rockwell are a bit lighter than the others.A built in blade welder,especially one capable of welding Bi-metal material comes in handy also.
    I just need one more tool,just one!

I'm on my second Doall,my first one was a 1958 LSV 16 50-300 fpm 12" vertical daylight and very sturdy swivel base under table.Blade length 119-122"

My current one is a 1950 ML 16 50-1500 fpm 10" vertical daylight ( miss the 2" of previous saw ) the swivel base is weaker than the LSV model.Blade length 109-122" the large travel on top wheel is handy as I have got some NOS blades cheap that were 116",it also has 2 speed gearbox.

The wedge guide system on both saws works great and is adjustable for wear,both variable pulleys systems functioned perfect.I found a 1963 Doall 36" with every option avaliable for a freind it is a Beast.

My other freind has a 24" Grob that looked like just came off showroom floor ( ex gov unit that had not been used more than a day).It is very well built and a massive transmission,two things I like better about Doall over it is the Wedge style guides and the rack&pinion for raising and lowering the blade upper blade guides.

I have a Reeves Drive DoAll. I would give my left nut for a good VFD conversion. Don't get a Reeves drive saw!!

Some 25 years ago we bought a 22"-24" Taiwanese vertical bandsaw. It was far superior to any of the
    worn out used crap I could find at the time. I wouldn't call it a clone, it was just a well designed, well
    built machine...
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Griffing View Post
    I have a Reeves Drive DoAll. I would give my left nut for a good VFD conversion. Don't get a Reeves drive saw!!
    Just bought a DoAll ML at auction a week ago ($180). I pulled the varispeed pulleys, replaced the motor with a 2hp 3ph one I had and put a VFD on it so now it runs off single phase. The vfd is sweet, nice soft start and stop and extremely quiet and smooth.

Saw is a 1940 but they are built like a tank.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Griffing View Post
    I wouldn't give up neither one of my nuts for a VFD lol!The Reeves Drive on the Doall I have now was a little jumpy with the old belts that came with it,changed to the internal cog style V belt works perfect.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky_NY View Post
    Just bought a DoAll ML at auction a week ago ($180). I pulled the varispeed pulleys, replaced the motor with a 2hp 3ph one I had and put a VFD on it so now it runs off single phase. The vfd is sweet, nice soft start and stop and extremely quiet and smooth.

Saw is a 1940 but they are built like a tank.
    Does your air pump work,mine needed the bearing and shaft combo like a water pump has,got it at Motion Canada.I really like the concave glass on speed indicator so you can see it from the side.Mine came with complete power feed and table extension,also from Auction $130.My Dake 6 25 ton Arbor Press came from same Auction $150

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    I wouldn't give up neither one of my nuts for a VFD lol!The Reeves Drive on the Doall I have now was a little jumpy with the old belts that came with it,changed to the internal cog style V belt works perfect.

Does your air pump work,mine needed the bearing and shaft combo like a water pump has,got it at Motion Canada.I really like the concave glass on speed indicator so you can see it from the side.Mine came with complete power feed and table extension,also from Auction $130.My Dake 6 25 ton Arbor Press came from same Auction $150
    Don't know if the air pump works never checked. Because of the VFD and the varying motor speed I decided not to use the air pump but rather just plumb into the air lines in my shop with a electric solenoid that turns the air stream on when the saw is running. The pieces of the power feed are missing but the internals are there and operate, I did get the boomerang piece that engages the work for the power feed. I plan on making up the missing feed parts later as well as the rip and miter guides. I have a horizontal bandsaw and been wanting a vertical for that occasional need.

I have a DoAll 20" and a DoAll hydraulic feed 26". The 20 " is probably 1970's or 80's vintage and the 26" is late 40's and is a monster. Both run very well and are a dream to use. Both have reeve drives and I've have had no issues with either. You probably won't go wrong with either a DoAll, Grob, Powermatic or a Tannewitz.

Quote Originally Posted by softtail View Post
    I've started looking for a used 18-20" vert saw. Seems Grob, DoAll, and Powermatic make up the majority of used offerings, with a few Delta 20"'s in the mix.
    Thoughts on obvious advantages/deficiencies between brands? Other thoughts on features, etc?

There's a Doall 2013-V3 semi near by.. are these newer machines better/worse than the old ones? Has a variable frequency AC drive.
    18-20" is a nice size. I have a smaller 14" vertical Grizzly Tawian VS saw and have found it's been wildly useful for many tasks. Especially for just running up to it to quickly cut something in hand. I've also cut various thick plate into special shapes for brackets and such with it. I've also cut sheet metal with it along with a clamped on fence, etc.

Work hard play hard