I haven't bothered to post projects for a while - really since the "picturebucket" meltdown. I figured i would post this one since I could not find a good post with pictures when I needed it.

I picked up a car to restore and the master cylinder was pitted too far to clean up - so i figured i would give it a try to sleeve it, and if i destroyed it i could buy a replacement.

First step was to figure out how to hold it. Since one end was threaded I made a stub shaft ad mounted it in the four jaw. I liked this better than trying to hold the outside of the casting and getting it square. This also let me make a practice cut on a rougher master cylinder that I had as well.

First step was to bore and then i cleaned it up with a 1-1/8 reamer that I had. It came out at 1.126" which was fine since i was machining some tube to fit.

I was able to buy some 304 stainless DOM drops that were 1.3" od and 0.95" ID. for $12 delivered. My first plans to open them with a 1" reamer went poorly as i took too much of a cut and it ended up with grooves in it. Next I ended up borrowing a positive rake insert boring bar and went at it with light cuts and slow feeds. I got a lot of shop cleaning done while the cut was happening! I also experimented on speeds and feeds to be able to land on the final dims. And proceeded to oversize the bore - so i needed to make a third one. BUT the third one was a charm. ID is 1.001". Another key was to support in a steady-rest.

The outer bore could be cut much faster and it set for between half and a full thou interference.

I cut to length, deburred, and put it outside in the winter air. I made an aluminum bushing to press on and heated the cylinder with a propane torch. The green smear is loctite bearing retainer. It went in very evenly with not much pressure.

Final steps were to drill the holes from the resivoir. The 0.030" hole had me paniced that i would snap the bit. I used a high quality bit in a pin vice in a sensitive drill press and was relieved when it came though. Final step was to hit the bore with a ball hone to debur the holes, and futher smooth the bore. It came out better than expected and the spool fits in with a nice slip fit.