Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it OK to post OT (on topic) machining stuff?

Quote Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
    While we are on the topic of washers, has anyone ever cut a small recess on the tips their lathe jaws to hold washers? I have one chuck with serrations across the jaws every 1/4" or so and I sometimes am able to get thin washers to wedge into the serrations to hold them square but it's a PITA to change chucks just to bore out one washer and if it's not thin, the serrations don't work.
    Would work OK if you have extra set of soft jaws. I Wouldn't necessarily bore my normal jaws.

In OP's case I would have most probably just use the serrations in the jaws or swap to OD jaws if they have suitable gripping location. But I like the "mass production" approach for the boring job nonetheless.
    Jobs like these would be yet another reason to complete my adjustable spindle bore stop..
    Last edited by MattiJ; 02-11-2019 at 03:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post
    Neighbor came over last week with his latest emergency project for the company he works for. He needed some washers of a precise ID & OD made from some tough material.

I first made a slitted sleeve of thin-wall alum tubing to hold them by the OD in the 4 jaw. Then an acetal plug was turned to the OD size of the washers to help hold them straight while the chuck was final tightened & the ID dialed in.
    Very nice solution. If a job can ever pay for it, pie jaws are great for something like this.
    Abbott jaws
    At Travers Tool
    Sherline

I would use a collet like these (grossly overpriced) on the museum's lathe: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/smart-and...y4n:rk:15:pf:0

Arcane,

Yes, I use the serrations all the time when dealing with washers. If the washer is too thick for this I hold a flat piece of steel across the front of the jaws and pinch the washer against it while tightening the jaws on the washer.

Some of you are assuming he has soft jaws. Not everyone has them or can justify the expense.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

A 5C emergency collet is an inexpensive way to deal with something like this. Here are some examples.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/5C-Emergenc...S!-1:rk:9:pf:0

Nice. Yeah washers can be made of hard stuff sometimes.

Joe Pi did a nice video on machining 5c emergency collets, and how to use them to make single piece crank shafts.
    https://youtu.be/9sQzedI_Cw4

Thanks for all the great suggestions fellers. Sigh, more cool stuff to buy for a rainy day!

Part of the service I'm able to provide to him (and his company) is the ability to "get stuff done" overnight sometimes and on the weekends. If there's a tooling widget needed that I don't already have on hand for a repair, I just make it myself usually. This one went together quickly using stuff I had laying around which fits my style just fine. I find this sort of solution VERY rewarding!
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

This place will always shows you a different way of doing your job and that's good! BTW Nice job!