Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is it OK to post OT (on topic) machining stuff?

Lets not forget that DICKEYBIRD did 5 washers with one setup. Some of the other methods suggested wouldn't have allowed that.
    Edit, guess I should have said two setups.
    Last edited by J Harp; 02-11-2019 at 01:36 PM.
    Jim

Quote Originally Posted by J Harp View Post
    Lets not forget that DICKEYBIRD did 5 washers with one setup. Some of the other methods suggested wouldn't have allowed that.
    Edit, guess I should have said two setups.
    Plus he did it with stuff on hand. And that often means being creative and making do. As an example of that sort of ingenuity the solution shines bright.

Lots of great ideas in this thread but a lot of them would have required buying "stuff" that would need to be ordered in at more delay than was tolerable or which would cost more than the few bucks earned from the job.

Quote Originally Posted by softtail View Post
    Nice. Yeah washers can be made of hard stuff sometimes.
    They weren't case hardened washers like I've done before; they'll cut OK with carbide. These weren't especially hard but some kind of weird alloy that made the swarf "sticky". All's swell that ends swell I always say!
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

I especially like the title. Very timely reminder of the current state of affairs.

Alway keep a few flat plates around to square up thin stuff in the 3 jaw.
    Some both holes.
    Then when making big discs you can part m part way and saw the rest. . Then you can clock off the parted surface.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelP View Post
    I especially like the title. Very timely reminder of the current state of affairs.
    Thanks, I'm glad someone else feels the same. I recently modified what my dear sweet Mom used to say all the time and came up with a new version: "If you can't post something helpful or creative on the forum, don't post it!"
    Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

….more OT home shop machining stuff:

In a search this morning for pics to attach with invoices to be sent to my neighbor’s co. I ran across some more weird parts that were made “under the gun” over the last year or so.

This thing was some kind of sealing plug removal tool for an existing automated machine. It was a pain to make due to the offset taper & odd precise angles here & there. I had 2 weekends to cobble this thing up. Supposedly I’ll have to make 4 more with some tweaks later this year. Not looking forward to that!

I made 2 of these switch brackets which had to be whittled out of a 2x4 chunk of aluminum. Nobody could tell me why it couldn’t be made from acetal or what kind of switch needs a bracket that he!! for stout! They now need 2 more but thank goodness they found somebody else to do them

Milton

...'nudder one:

I made them a prototype air motor sliding driver from aluminum a couple years ago for them to test with & it worked fine. Eventually the roll-pins that slid in the slots wore them completely out. They asked for 4 more made from hard steel. This is one of the 4. It was made from 4140 & then mickey-mouse hardened on my patio with a couple propane torches, a homemade fire brick forge & a soup can half full of peanut oil. A file wouldn’t touch them & they’re still going strong.

Milton

Quote Originally Posted by DICKEYBIRD View Post

I made 2 of these switch brackets which had to be whittled out of a 2x4 chunk of aluminum. Nobody could tell me why it couldn’t be made from acetal or what kind of switch needs a bracket that he!! for stout! They now need 2 more but thank goodness they found somebody else to do them

I immediately thought of a hydraulic or air controlled valve.

Looks like you have fun projects.!
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra Twin Track View Post
    That's a great Jig,Boomer I have noticed when restocking my Washers that different batches or Manufacters vary a lot dia and thickness.If you get lucky one bunch will be the same.
    I don't know why but the specs of flat washers have gotten really ragged of late. Different ODs, IDs and
    thicknesses all in one batch. They're obviously all the cheap Chinese stuff but that still doesn't completely
    explain all the variations. SAE washers and hardened washers are generally pretty good.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    ...Would work OK if you have extra set of soft jaws. I Wouldn't necessarily bore my normal jaws....
    Boring original (hard) jaws is not a good idea. Soft jaws, on the other hand, are something that everyone
    should have in their bag of tricks. They have saved my bacon so many times over the years that I have lost
    count. And, for the do it yourself guys, they are something that can be made in a home shop. Even if you
    don't get them perfect if you true them up each time you use them they will always be perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by loose nut View Post
    Some of you are assuming he has soft jaws. Not everyone has them or can justify the expense.
    Perhaps not but they are highly recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Toolguy View Post
    ...A 5C emergency collet is an inexpensive way to deal with something like this. Here are some examples...
    Another great save the day device. I also use clutch collets quite a bit...

http://www.penntoolco.com/precise-5c-clutch-collets/
    Keith