Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is it OK to post OT (on topic) machining stuff?

Default Is it OK to post OT (on topic) machining stuff?

Neighbor came over last week with his latest emergency project for the company he works for. He needed some washers of a precise ID & OD made from some tough material.

I first made a slitted sleeve of thin-wall alum tubing to hold them by the OD in the 4 jaw. Then an acetal plug was turned to the OD size of the washers to help hold them straight while the chuck was final tightened & the ID dialed in.

I then used a conical fitting in the tailstock live center to help align the washers & press them hard against the acetal plug as the chuck was final tightened & dialed in.

The ID was then bored to the specified .430” +.001/-0”.

A mandrel was turned to be a snug fit to the washers' ID & dialed in before they were clamped in place with a 5/16” bolt. The OD was then turned to the specified 1.110”.

Earlier I mentioned the washers he brought were made of tough stuff but unfortunately I didn’t get a picture of the bluish mass of SHARP steel wool that was stuck hard to the OD after the finish pass. Fortunately it cleaned up well with a few strokes of a fine file. It’s funny how the ID cut OK but the OD sucked. SFM I guess.
    Milton

"Accuracy is the sum total of your compensating mistakes."

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

They came out great & so far I haven’t heard a discouraging word so I guess they’re happy. Let’s see if they’re still happy when they get the bill!

Milton

"The thing I hate about an argument is that it always interrupts a discussion." G. K. Chesterton

Looks good. You may have been able to save a little time by turning the OD first and then boring the OD size into a set of soft jaws on the mill and then doing the ID there.

Washers are always a pain to work with. I like your split sleeve OD gripper. Hopefully I'll remember that when the time comes again. Thanks.

Now see if I tried that the original O.D.'s would be off enough to allow one to not be held and slip whilst machining basically forming a mild eccentric and taking out a very expensive carbide insert.... just sayin...

Yes I like the split sleeve idea as well, thanks for the OT subject matter , and the photos.

It’s funny how the ID cut OK but the OD sucked. SFM I guess.
    I wonder if it is not more related to the different tool geometries you used between the boring and turning operations.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    Now see if I tried that the original O.D.'s would be off enough to allow one to not be held and slip whilst machining basically forming a mild eccentric and taking out a very expensive carbide insert.... just sayin...
    Been there, done that, got the chipped insert! I checked the OD's on these 1st & they looked pretty good. I figured the soft tubing sleeve & the acetal plug would give enough to hold OK.
    Milton

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post

That's a great Jig,Boomer I have noticed when restocking my Washers that different batches or Manufacters vary a lot dia and thickness.If you get lucky one bunch will be the same.

While we are on the topic of washers, has anyone ever cut a small recess on the tips their lathe jaws to hold washers? I have one chuck with serrations across the jaws every 1/4" or so and I sometimes am able to get thin washers to wedge into the serrations to hold them square but it's a PITA to change chucks just to bore out one washer and if it's not thin, the serrations don't work.

The split sleeve is a clever idea. Buuuuuuuut.... just thinking that if it were a thicker wall like pipe you could have turned a shoulder in the ID to seat the washer against so it was held true right away?

Mind you what are the odds that we have just the right pipe on hand... I know that it hardly ever happens for me.