Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Backup electrical generator question about loads

Quote Originally Posted by Noitoen View Post
    Nice machining project. Ball governer for the tractor engine
    Tractors have governors, operator is just setting the throttle.

What I have noticed is frequency is more important than voltage (within reason). Refrigerators make a horrible noise if the voltage is 120 but the frequency is 57 or 58Hz. I adjust tractor speed for frequency and have voltages anywhere for 240 - 252. Right now we are at 252, 60.5 Hz. Every thing is running smoothly and no flickering lights.

It's all above my pay grade, but frequency seems to be most critical.

I would want one of those flat belt driven exposed flyball governers. I have several of the enclosed types....
    Last edited by Abner; 02-11-2019 at 05:13 PM.

That's not far off. Utility power to my house is 123.5v per leg or 247. If you could adjust out that extra half Hz you would be just about there.

Steve

I wonder if there's an add-on system that you could purchase that would do the job. It would need to measure frequency, then operate an actuator that would play with your throttle. You would adapt the actuator to your throttle linkage.

I can see it being something that's powered by 110 or 220, measuring the voltage and frequency from one of the generator outlets and using a bit of that power to operate. A small electric actuator would work to operate the throttle, and it would be smoothly controlled electronically to prevent the motor from pulsing or making sudden over-corrections, etc.

There probably is such a device, but I'm not aware of it. Probably expensive, though it's not something that should be difficult or expensive to make.

I wonder if there's a secondary way to control an engine rpm other than going through the existing throttle linkage- like a little tap on the accelerator pump- or perhaps a secondary air intake valve that you could use to vary the air flow rate. Of course this would be experimental stuff, probably beyond what you might consider as the answer to your problem.
    I seldom do anything within the scope of logical reason and calculated cost/benefit, etc- I'm following my passion-

Quote Originally Posted by darryl View Post
    I wonder if there's an add-on system that you could purchase that would do the job. It would need to measure frequency, then operate an actuator that would play with your throttle. You would adapt the actuator to your throttle linkage.

Yup, here ya go. http://www.woodward.com/gensetcontrollers.aspx

the ESD5500E genset controller is 50$ on ebay.

you will need a proximity sensor, sold by the same seller for 25$.. maybe you can find one far less than that from mouser or something.

i would be trying to roll my own solenoid actuator to install on the carb before i paid 200$ for one.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Generator-A...r/401565880440

Quote Originally Posted by Noitoen View Post
    ...Only the new inverter type generators regulate the voltage and frequency just like a regular vfd...
    Not true at all. I have a 10 year old Chinese diesel generator that controls voltage and frequency just fine. It's not an inverter...
    Keith

Quote Originally Posted by LKeithR View Post
    Not true at all. I have a 10 year old Chinese diesel generator that controls voltage and frequency just fine. It's not an inverter...
    If you listen closely, you will hear the diesel compensate on the various loads. The engine has a centrifugal speed regulator for constant speed and another electronic or inductive (transformer) regulator for voltage.
    Helder Ferreira
    Setúbal, Portugal

You could make something like this:

Or buy something like this:
    https://www.aliexpress.com/item/Free...AbTest=ae803_4

More detailed project:
    https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub...display-c99779

You just need a way to utilize the under/over alarms to adjust the genset's speed. A PID controller might be ebst.

Wow, thank you everyone for all the information. $50 for a controller is worth a serious look even for standby. I like the automated load dump idea as well.