Thread: Lathe unloading

Default Lathe unloading

I have decided to get rid of my 1928 South Bend 9" Junior in favor of something bigger. I'm looking at South Bend 13s and my only real hesitation is unloading it. I have a 1st floor drive-out basement and while a rented engine hoist was plenty for the 9", I'm worried about picking up the heavy end of the 13" with a hoist that's rated for 1500 lbs.

There must be other people who have dealt with this. What's the accepted wisdom?

Get a 2-ton HF shop crane. They pay you.
    Work hard play hard

You could use two engine hoist if space is avalable and both can get a grab. It’s common to marry cranes when making heavy lifts. Small job like a lathe no different. Two lifts easier to control too.

Good thing about the engine hoist they have a low mast that will fit most basement doors and you can rent them. Last one I did on a mill due to a lower than normal celling and tall machine lifted outside to rolling Dolly’s bolted together. Inside the shop used toe jacks to lift onto stacked blocking moved the Dolly’s out, piece at a time removed the blocking in 1 inch steps. Small steps important.

All this without seeing the job. May change the approach on examanation.

Boats

I realize I'll have to improvise on the day. I just don't want a repeat of my milling machine. The guy who was supposed to help me stopped answering the phone and I was stuck with no plan whatsoever.