Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mill vice back saver stand

Default Mill vice back saver stand

Well having a couple back surgeries last year and continuing problems. I have to do everything possible to save my back including not lifting things I can avoid. every lil bit helps thankfully my helper is here if I need to move something sometimes and even Bob la londe came over and helped me move tighten stuff while I was healing and always shows if I need help etc .I had thought of this awhile ago so I finally built a lil trolley for my vise it's the exact height as my table so I just slide the vise on and roll it outta the way added a lil extra shelf built out of all scrap I had cut up and reused im likely gonna add a way to secure it to the wall just to be safe

Good idea sliding better than lifting,I need to do something similar.

Nice job. Work smarter, not harder. I'm lifting vises everyday almost, but our machines are all different heights and a rolling cart like that wouldn't work. I've thought about a building a rolling cart with a skyhook on it, but it's a luxury item not a necessity right now. Hopefully I'll be off the shop floor by the time I "need" one.

I can see why you might want to slide the vise to the table rather than lift it. The vise appears to be similar to one I have. Mine is an 8" Palmgren (old enough to still be made in the USA). It weighs in at 125 lbs. I use a hydraulic table to store it on and lift it to the mill.

good idea!

Dan, if the height is the issue, not the rolling cart, then something like a motorbike scissor lift might work for a roll around vise cart.

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    good idea!

Dan, if the height is the issue, not the rolling cart, then something like a motorbike scissor lift might work for a roll around vise cart.
    Shops usually have die lifts for fixtures and other heavy items that are moved on and off machine tables.

Quote Originally Posted by mattthemuppet View Post
    good idea!

It's a combination of height and reach. It would be for Haas VMC's and the enclosures prevent getting close enough to slide a vise on or off. A short roller extension or ramp would also work to bridge the gap, but I think a small truck bed crane on a cart would be handy for other uses as well. Some good large casters and enough counterweight in the bottom it would be great for vises and fixtures. Sadly there's never enough time to build shop fixtures like that, unless I take it on as a pet project on my own time (breaks and lunches). That's not happening.

ah right, that makes sense.

Our mill and the 185 lb vise is under a pallet rack. A Unistrut double rail with a trolley, chain, lever chain tightner and a bracket that engages the jaw holes and balances the vise perfectly. Vise is hanging when not in use. A second rail and a 1000 lb chain hoist on the other side handles the 250 lb 4th axis and lets us tip it for vertical or horizontal use.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    It's a combination of height and reach. It would be for Haas VMC's and the enclosures prevent getting close enough to slide a vise on or off. A short roller extension or ramp would also work to bridge the gap, but I think a small truck bed crane on a cart would be handy for other uses as well. Some good large casters and enough counterweight in the bottom it would be great for vises and fixtures. Sadly there's never enough time to build shop fixtures like that, unless I take it on as a pet project on my own time (breaks and lunches). That's not happening.
    A roller cart with a drawbridge! Sorry, reading your post I got this sudden image of an old medieval siege tower with the drop down draw bridge that woudl allow storming the battlements.... But really a cart like this with some manner of connecting bridge should work well. The bridge could be a frame with small rollers so the base of the parts isn't being dragged over the metal of the bridge.

Although the idea of the lift boom is a good one. With a lift the bottom of the vise or other tooling could be given a wipe down while in mid air.