Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gage Block vs. Space Block

Default Gage Block vs. Space Block

I've been shopping for a set of gage blocks and stumbled upon space blocks. Aside from the accuracy differences (+- 0.0001" for the space blocks, much better for gage blocks), are these typically used similarly - ie. setting a sine bar, or verifying measurements?

Space blocks work just fine. Check their accuracy, and if it falls within your needs and the set is complete enough, then no need to spend the extra money.

That's what I was thinking. Thanks!

I pulled out a new set of China gage blocks that I bought back in ~2005 from Enco. The .500 block fluctuated between .50015 and .50020 with my new Mitutoyo digital mic. Every single block was covered in hardened cosmoline and wrapped in brown paper and it took a few minutes to actually cleanup the little .500 block with acetone.
    Work hard play hard

I don't get anything relevant when googling "space blocks", what are they?

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    I don't get anything relevant when googling "space blocks", what are they?
    Maybe try "spacer blocks"
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by 3 Phase Lightbulb View Post
    Maybe try "spacer blocks", but I'm sure you already did....
    Mine are round "blocks" each has a threaded through center and are about 1 in. In diameter.
    Ed
    Agua Dulce, So.California
    1950 F1 street rod
    1949 F1 stock V8 flathead
    1948 F6 350 chevy/rest stock, no dump bed
    1953 chevy 3100 AD for 85 S10 frame have a 4BT cummins motor, NV4500
    1968 Baha Bug with 2.2 ecotec motor, king coil-overs,P/S

Quote Originally Posted by Ed ke6bnl View Post
    Mine are round "blocks" each has a threaded through center and are about 1 in. In diameter.
    I've got a set of those too. I use them the most for vise packing when I need to hold something out the side of a vise, I'll build up the thickness and space out the other side to prevent racking. Very handy for that job, and others and it was money well spent. I've used them under sine bars and plates before too. Not a replacement for gauge blocks, but very supplementary for "shop" blocks, where I'd rather not put my good blocks in compromising positions.

Even googling "engineers spacer blocks" got no results, but I definitely have a set of the round threaded ones in a plastic box with some pieces of studding to link them.
    For use with a sine bar, they are of little value compared to slip gauges (gauge blocks), I used one once as a go gauge for filing a gap wider, as the mating part was too unwieldy to use.

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    Even googling "engineers spacer blocks" got no results, but I definitely have a set of the round threaded ones in a plastic box with some pieces of studding to link them.
    For use with a sine bar, they are of little value compared to slip gauges (gauge blocks), I used one once as a go gauge for filing a gap wider, as the mating part was too unwieldy to use.
    do a google search for space blocks in quotes. That makes it required.

Space blocks are in .001 increments with a single .0625 block to get things closer to 1/2 thousandth. They often screw together. The Jo blocks are in .0001 increments and are engineered to be used with a special technique called wringing. If you need to set a caliper or micrometer, JO blocks are the way to go. Space blocks are usually good for sine bars and setups, especially in cases where the roughness of the finish will exceed the few ten thousandths variation caused by the blocks.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.