Thread: Small-shop coolant options...

Default Small-shop coolant options...

Hi all,

I have a converted Bridgeport mill, i do a fair bit of aluminium on it but only every other week or two so its intermittent use.

I currently run a FogBuster MQL system with a vegetable based oil (Aerolube) but due to my intermittent nature of use, the mill is now getting covered in a thick sticky gunk when the oil dries out. This gunk is a bugger to shift, it needs hot soapy water which is clearly no good for a mill table etc.

I can't run flood coolant as the mill is fully open and with the rate of use it would be rancid very quickly.

Is there ANY other option that i can use for CNC milling of aluminium with HSS tooling and intermittent use???

Obviously it must be lung-safe although there is very little over-spray when in use.

Thanks
    Dave

My previous shop had a Datron CNC Router that used alcohol for a misting system. We of course had to plum a vent line to the outside but it worked very well. Nice dry chips when cleaning but lots of fine aluminum dust also.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think i have a fluid now - UNIST 2210AL is veggie based and so far seems excellent, says it does not dry to a varnish and i have left a film on various parts to test this. No smell at all, it wets the metal better than the other fluid too.

Quote Originally Posted by Davek0974 View Post
    I think i have a fluid now - UNIST 2210AL is veggie based and so far seems excellent, says it does not dry to a varnish and i have left a film on various parts to test this. No smell at all, it wets the metal better than the other fluid too.
    That is the exact oil I used on my MQL system. I had no complaints at all. I still have the system from my previous bridgeport cnc but have not reused it yet. I went with flood this time and a synthetic that does does not go bad. The flood is a lot more messy, the MQL is superior for aluminum. I did NOT like the MQL for steel, the heat generated made it smoke and stink.

Good to hear, thanks.

This fluid is alu only, i asked and was advised NOT to use it on ferrous, stainless or brass at all. With the small amount of ferrous i cut i don't think running dry will matter and i always run brass dry.

I used to have flood on it but the mess on an open mill is not good so i ditched it

Just realized that I told a little white lie. The oil I used was 2210EP Pretty much all the same anyways.