Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: 438 Days: An Extraordinary True Story of Survival at Sea

Default OT: 438 Days: An Extraordinary True Story of Survival at Sea

I just read this book - one of the best survival accounts next to Shackleton's Endurance

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25111328-438-days

Condensed version here:
    https://www.rd.com/true-stories/surv...-sea-438-days/

Thanks. Sounds like a worthwhile read. I can vaguely remember when that story broke in the news, and all the skepticism that followed.

Another similar, fascinating story is to be found in Angelina Jolie's book, "Unbroken," - the story of Louie Zamperini, a USC (Trojans) track star. After running in front of Hitler in the 1936 Berlin Olympics, a few years later he was left adrift on a raft in the Pacific after his plane went down. He was (only?) adrift for 47 days, but subjected to Jap strafing attacks a couple of times, before finally drifting ashore and into the hands of the Japs on Wake Island. That's when his real troubles began!

Quote Originally Posted by lynnl View Post
    ... Angelina Jolie's [sic] book, "Unbroken" ...
    Laura Hillenbrand

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Engelhardt View Post
    Laura Hillenbrand
    Oops..., you're right. I have the book, and would've bet money it was by Angelina Jolie. But it was Jolie who made it into a movie, which I haven't seen.

"... Angelina Jolie's [sic] book, "Unbroken" ..." What's with the [sic] ? The spelling is right. Are you implying the possessive form is incorrect?
    Last edited by lynnl; 02-15-2019 at 12:07 PM.

Tami Oldham Ashcraft, a neighbor of ours, had an incredible experience. She and her boyfriend sailed into a hurricane on a boat delivery. She went below while her boyfriend sailed the boat on deck. The boated pitch-poled in the night knocking her unconscious for more than a day. She awoke alone on a boat with no mast in the middle of the pacific. Thru force of will she rigs a mast and sail and delivers the boat to Hawaii.

Her book is Red Sky in Mourning. It was a worthwhile read.

"... Angelina Jolie's [sic] book, "Unbroken" ..." What's with the [sic] ? The spelling is right. Are you implying the possessive form is incorrect?
    "[sic]" simply indicates an error. Of any nature.

Yes, I know the meaning of [sic] ...it's a way of saying "hey, don't blame me, I'm just repeating verbatim the error of that other numbskull."

But I was asking, what error were you referring to? (and yes I also know my preposition is dangling.)

But I was asking, what error were you referring to? (and yes I also know my preposition is dangling.)
    I took it to refer to the fact that author's name was listed incorrectly in the quote.
    George

Yes, I know the meaning of [sic] ...it's a way of saying "hey, don't blame me, I'm just repeating verbatim the error of that other numbskull."

Might be a short term memory problem. Might be a short term memory problem.... Might be a short term memory problem.......... Might be a short term memory problem................................... Maybe a memory problem... Maybe a memory problem........ Maybe a memory problem............... Memory problem.. Memory problem...... Memory problem......... Memory... Memory...... Memory.........
    Work hard play hard

Quote Originally Posted by George Bulliss View Post
    I took it to refer to the fact that author's name was listed incorrectly in the quote.
    Ok, that did occur to me after I made my last post.

But to me, the use of [sic] has always implied something like a grammatical or spelling error, rather than an error in the content. Not to say that it's wrong, just that it's not the way I've normally seen it used.