Thread: OT: Oh Agony! I Broke The Macro Links In Excel Spreadsheet!

Default OT: Oh Agony! I Broke The Macro Links In Excel Spreadsheet!

OK, it is off topic. But where else can I groan. I have a spreadsheet for my personal budget and it has a lot of macros that make it's everyday use easier. Well, the external hard drive where I keep the main copy was showing some signs of problems so I saved it to another drive for safe keeping. Well, now the links to all of those macros now point to that other drive and when I try to execute one of them, I get an error message telling me that I can not have two files with the same name open at the same time.

I want to scream because the only way I can see to correct this is to edit each and every macro back to the correct drive. If you hear a really loud scream coming from south Texas, don't worry, it is just me.

I think my mistake was to save it to that drive instead of just making a copy. Perhaps I can open it there and save it back to the original location. Wish me luck.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Work hard play hard

Um, unplug the other drive?

In windows you can use diskmgmt.msc to re-assign drive letters. May help?
    In linux you wouldn't have this problem.

Consider taking the opportunity to switch to Quicken.
    Cheap, complete, easy to set up and use. My last upgrade was in 2006 (for less than $30) and am still happily using that version.

I use the Open Office equivalent of Excel for tax computation of 1120S and 1040. At one time I used macros to refer to previous years, but now I just hard code those figures for each year. For my checkbook, invoices, and budgetary purposes, I use MS Access 2007. It provides nice reports for checking account balances as well as yearly reports broken down by categories. All data is contained within the .accdb file so it is completely portable.

Assuming you can disconnect the original drive, you could copy the file to a USB thumb drive.

After you insert the thumb drive, change the drive letter with the SUBST command from the command prompt, or use Disk Manager to change the drive letter to the letter used by the original drive. You may have to create the same directory path on the thumb drive before you copy the file.

From Excel's view, the file is now on the same drive as it was before.

You could also just use Disk Manager to swap the drive letters on the two drives you are using.

It came out OK. As I believed, I saved the extra copy from the open spreadsheet instead of copying it using Windows My Computer. I had only made one new entry so I did a screen shot of that and pasted it in Paint for quick reference. Then I opened the copy on the "OTHER" drive and promptly saved it on top of the original. I had to make that one entry again, but the screen shot made that easy.

And now the spreadsheet in the original location (external drive) now works just fine.

I hate the tricks that Excel plays on you without telling you it is going to do so. Another one is with "Links". I have never quite figured out how to manage them. I always try to avoid them by never using SAVE AS.

I just needed to rant to keep my blood pressure down. Thanks for providing an ear.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!