Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: AMC Marlin

Default AMC Marlin

I found this Marlin sitting deflated at an automotive restorer's lot in Tempe. I took my Minox 35 GT from my shirt pocket and took this shot. I think it is a 1966 AMC version.

It has smooth lines. Did it have a good engine too?

Here is a blow-up from the Pan F negative.

Allan Ostling

Wow - never even heard of one - that is one unique old bird, im sure the drivetrain was just old junk but who cares if your a collector...

it looks like a baboon trying to fart...
    Last edited by A.K. Boomer; 02-22-2019 at 12:38 AM.

You can bet the farm it a huge inefficient V8 delivering mediocre performance.

One of the AMC V8's was a performer. I think it was a 360. The Gremlin with the right V8 was a little hot-rod.

The Gremlin with the wrong V-8 was nothing but wheel spin... that's what happens when you chop the back of a rear wheel drive car off just past the axle lol

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder, but I found/find all of AMCs offerings to be ugly.

My Gremlin story: A buddy and I were bombing down a two-track in his mother's Gremlin when we heard a big clunk and the engine quit shortly after. A few hundred feet back on the trail lay the gas tank. The car was probably less than four or five years old at that point but things rusted quick in those days and those Gremlin's were pure junk.
    George

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    it looks like a baboon trying to fart...
    Well, you may like it but I think it's rather ugly.

Crazy, I never much liked cars of that era anyways save for some vette's or the GT-40 or AC cobra

but AMC took it all a step further into the gutter, remember the Pacer? or "upside down fishbowl on wheels" as we used to call it... great visibility - you could see all the places you would rather be besides inside the car itself...

AMC was a strange company. They made some great looking cars and a whole lot of ugly ones.
    If I remember right, they also had a few nascar wins.

When I ran my engine rebuild shop way back we got a high perf engine from an AMC a 340 or 360. Don’t remember exactly what it was or what it came out of right now. But it was impressive internally as I recall with forged crank, push rod guide plates, etc. Performed very strongly too and was a match for most comparable engines of the day. Can’t say much about the rest of the AMC line as we didn’t get many others in for rebuild or repair. Not the most popular vehicle at the time I guess.