Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Anchoring portable generator

Default Anchoring portable generator

Has anybody installed an anchor point to lock a portable generator down? I have a 120+ lb genny and would like to store it in the garage for easy access if itís needed. That said I donít want it to grow legs and walk away of the door is left up. Any suggestions? The more secure the better, within reason, but Iím thinking some basic discouraging is whatís needed.

Currently Iím considering one of two methods to anchor a bike lock (a quality bike lock). Either boring through an exterior stud and running a chain/cable through that hole or bolting in an eye bolt to the stud and locking to that. Maybe a a couple eye bolts and running through each one.

This seems like a good way to discourage it from walking away but I canít imagine it would stop even a mildly motivated thief. Is there a better way??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have considered using 2 long, lag eye-bolts (2 so can't be unscrewed) with cable running through both, but where I am I just haven't felt any threat.
    If you stop the ability for a quick 'snatch and grab' you have reduced your odds massively.

Cement floor? You can drill a hole and use some anchoring adhesive to set an eye bolt. Then lock to the eye bolt.

Anchoring adhesive (10,700 lbs. pullout with a 3/8" hole in 3.5" concrete) https://www.mcmaster.com/7505a55

Although I find the situations somewhat perplexing. Why keep the door open if you're not in the garage and what about everything else in the garage? Surely the generator isn't the only thing worth stealing in the garage. If it really is that empty... well you need to start buying some machine tools!

Garage is definitely not empty and I am rather paranoid about leaving it open... but things happen. Canít very well lock down everything but if I can make a few of the more desirable items less easy to take then all the better.

Not sure I want to drill the concrete but I do like that idea. Would a regular eye bolt be ok or do I need some type of treatment to prevent corrosion in the concrete?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will have a new generator arriving soon and was thinking about something like that when I have it running so the exhaust will blow outside. Just at the thinking stage so far. Will be watching this thread with interest.
    Larry

What ever you do, don't attach it to the garage structure. Unless it's made of reinforced concrete, the structure will be heavily damaged as someone drives off with your generator. Anchors in the concrete floor will work for a while but if someone really wants it, it's going. Your generator is no ATM but someone will see it as a challenge and do what ever it takes to get it. Keep your garage door closed. Lock it when you're gone. Never leave your garage door open even when you're home. Drive-by scouts will case your property. If you have a garage sale this spring, cover everything not for sale.

Battery powered angle grinder with cutoff disc, eyebolt cut in less than 5 minutes.

Every now and then I feel inconvenienced at living so far out in the countryside. It's over 1000 feet to my nearest neighbor, and 15 miles to town. So every now and then I wonder if I should sell the farm and move into town.

While reading this thread, I realized once again that living in the city sucks.

Here is some bolts and socket I made to lock my generator to the rear bumper of my camper. I welded short pieces of pipe around the heads of bolts to prevent vise grips from unscrewing them.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another photo

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk