Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: My Taiwanese Shenwai SW-900B Lathe Clean/Repair Thread

Large gear, 32 teeth, 2.385/59.4mm OD, 2.040/51.9mm ID at base of teeth. Width between bottom of teeth .0785/2mm, with between top of teeth .150/3.8mm.

I am not sure why some suggest going to oilite bushings in here .
    I don't think the material is the problem, I think it's lack of lubrication.
    Not sure if it was bathed in oil and just ran out.. and they kept running it..?
    Or it has oiler cups they did not use.

I suspect the squashed oiler pipe did not help anything.

Small gear, 1.238/31.44mm OD, .947/24mm ID at base of teeth.

Doing some searches on various imported lathes might find you the replacement parts without having to make them. It looks to me like there were some rather standard lathe designs shared by several Taiwanese manufacturers with just individual variation. Someone mentioned Grizzly, but Jet, Wholesale Tool and others imported quite similar machines.

I've just been watching a series of videos by Keith Fenner working on a Rutland lathe on which lots of features are identical to a WT lathe I have also sold under the Tida name.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Trying to run the numbers and figure the DP from your pics, I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the gears a metric modular. Especially considering the origin of the machine.

The 32T is MOD1 and the 16Tis MOD1.75. The larger seems to be undamaged, so if a working lathe is available, then a 16t MOD 1.75 gear with a hub could be fitted. If that pair are common, then just buying new would be the easiest way out of that particular problem. https://www.technobotsonline.com/gea...alculator.html

The bronze gear, the teeth are at a slight angle. OD roughly 1.242/31.55mm. Tooth depth with straight edge across 2 teeth roughly .119/3.1mm. Width at bottom of teeth .070/1.8mm, width at top of teeth .116/2.96mm. OD of the counter gear id 1.118/28.4mm.

Nicely documented tear down and quick to. This should be an interesting project and I agree, clean and repair to get it running rather than a full on restoration.

Having thick skin is necessary and helps keep your perspective of this community in check. I use imgur to post photos and resize to 800 X 600 which shows plenty of detail. There are some very sharp craftsman on this site and some that can find stuff you need in a blink of the eye even though you may have spent hours searching and found nothing.

I'll be following this thread with much interest.

Fairly easy to cut the bronze one , if you have adividing head and vertical mill.
    I used a hand ground single point tool on the last one I made..

If you can't find one, sounds like they may be available.

With the angled teeth, the bronze gear is made for a worm, so you will need to find a proper replacement. Boston gear may have something, they have metric, find a worm of the same size as yours, and check the matching gears.

Where that is located, I think it is for the main power feed, not just for the crossfeed. The machine has a feed rod, normally used for any non-threading type feed, and that seems to be lined up with it..

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    I am not sure why some suggest going to oilite bushings in here .
    I don't think the material is the problem, I think it's lack of lubrication.
    Not sure if it was bathed in oil and just ran out.. and they kept running it..?
    Or it has oiler cups they did not use.

I suspect the squashed oiler pipe did not help anything.
    Very, very simple.......

He can probably buy the bushings, and not need to make it, they do NOT require oil, and the oiling provisions in that are crappy. That "oiling dish" with the holes for the oil to drip through? Sad.... just sad. even if the machine were perfectly level, it would not be a sure thing that everything gets oiled One of the worst features of the machine, which is otherwise decent looking.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan