Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: My Taiwanese Shenwai SW-900B Lathe Clean/Repair Thread

LOL! perfect!

If you build a shaft, keyed to fit block and the blank and old gear.
    You can then setup the good part of old gear to center cutter and get your depth, then turn it around , and put the blank on the cutting end.
    Not sure it works, but you might be able to index off the old teeth, then turn that gear around on the shaft, might get the other teeth.

But first we have to run you thru cutting the key way into your gear blank.. let us know if you need help with that.

Waiting for a couple things I ordered, so I took the spindle and back gear out. The bearings and races look fine actually. They were not completely dry as I thought they would be. The seal on the spindle side it toast though, lip is completely flat. The black goo from the seal particles is what is clouding the spindle oil level window. It's 80x100x10mm thick, a common size, so that is no problem. The other ones are 60x80x10, 60x75x10, 50x70x8. These are also all readily available, and about 5 bucks each, so they all get replaced.

That's great news. Fwiw, high precision lathe bearings are supposed to be kept perfectly clean - not even dust. Of course it isn't a 10ee, but getting it clean-ish might improve the situation when you preload the bearings.

Notice that this machine has helical gears in the back gear. They will be quieter than most machines using spur gear back gears, which includes some very high quality machines*. A nice touch, typical of decent Taiwanese machines of the era, and not often found on newer chinese machines, most of which do not even HAVE back gears.

*A Rivett 608, certainly a highly respected machine, has spur gears in the back gear system, for instance.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

That will be a nice lathe soon..

If those are copper lube lines, those crimps just can't be good. They appear to feed your galled bushings.....no oil flow.

Quote Originally Posted by OaklandGB View Post
    If those are copper lube lines, those crimps just can't be good. They appear to feed your galled bushings.....no oil flow.
    They still drip oil when you fill them. I almost wonder if it is a crude controlled flow attempt. It was never oiled anyways, so it had no hand in the damage.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    With a bit of luck its the similar gear as in this Grizzly
    https://www.grizzly.com/parts/Grizzl...16T/P4003G0320

16/32 tooth count is already a match to OP's gear.

19T? sheared bronze gear is non-existent in grizzly.
    I would like to take a minute to say THANK YOU! for pointing those out. I ordered them, they arrived today, and they are the exact same dimensions as my damaged gears, same mod 1.75, same pressure angle, same tooth count, same spacing between the gears, same overall length, same 19mm center bore for the bushing, identical. Bwaaahaaahaaahaaahaaa, I don't know what rare cosmic event was going on for this to happen, but it saves me some work for sure. I got the Mod 1.5 18-20T cutter, and a couple of those plastic Mod 1.5 19T gears(an extra just in case) 1200rpm pointed out to use for indexing on the way to make the bronze gear. The price was sure right on those. I'm going to do all Oilite bushings in this gear set/part of the box.

Last edited by junkaddict; 03-16-2019 at 04:04 PM.

Nice - way-ta-go MattJ good observation... now see - that's why I like this place - people helping people...