Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Knurling - how to?

Dave,

When I was looking into cut knurling a few years back, the late (and sorely missed) John Stevenson pointed me at an article in Model Engineer that he had been involved with with plans to make a cut knurler, and it wasn't that complex. I don't think he wrote the article, but he may have.

Mainly now on my manual lathe I use one of my Marlco style, as they are easily set up - I have a pair on Dixson holders, one coarse and one fine. But I was fortunate enough to pick up a commercial cut knurler on eBay and it is a joy to use, but I tend to use it on my CNC lathe usually.

If you are setting up for production though, as I said on another forum, you really need a Swiss style lathe so the stock advances though the collet and is supported close to where you are knurling.

Thanks, "production" in my terms is very low qty and small batches (1-10) a few times per year, a new lathe is just out of question at present.

I'm looking at a few options at present re tooling so hopefully should be sorted soon.

Quote Originally Posted by hareng View Post
    Well there you go some people have a far lower standard than others.
    I'd sure like to see some examples of your knurling jobs, and what you consider an acceptably high standard.

There's a lot of talk and advice from guys in this thread, but I've only seen decent knurling results by a few of them.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Wasn't able to find online price for the 3-wheel Zeus knurler but I'm pretty sure its more like 1200 than 600
    You talking about this tool? Its a nice piece. And yeah, prolly very expensive. JR

My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

That's an interesting tool. I bet a guy could make one, with some careful machining of the jaws on a small 3 jaw scroll chuck. I wonder if the wheels are timed to each other though?

They time themselves.
    I cut it off twice and it's still too short!

If you want good knurls consistently, find out what the pitch of your knurling tool is. To do that, divide the circumference of the knurling wheel by the number of teeth on the knurl. Then determine if the pitch of the tool will go into the circumference of the job (to be knurled)an even number of times. many times, that diameter of the job, can be adjusted by filing or polishing a few thousandths off. When the knurl has gone around, it is important that the knurling tooth, drop back into the original track. If you think I have been smoking some wacky weed, just remember that I have been at this work for about fifty years or so. Good luck.

Sarge41

On edit: A good knurl can be done with a cheap import, scissors tool. When you determine the pitch of your tool, mark it on the tool for the next time.
    Last edited by sarge41; 03-13-2019 at 09:52 PM.

Cheap Chinese scissors knurling tool results - 30" of it per part (!), and I did a LOT of them (was doing all of the mfg of my own product at the time).
    One pass on 1 1/4" dia DOM tube, they had to look perfect and no flaking allowed as they got ENP plating and had to hold up to a wet and abusive environment. I did switch to quality convex knurls and carbide pins (only because of the long length and # of parts). I long ago quit worrying about the stock diameter when knurling and just tweak the pressure as required.
    As was mentioned, an aggressive start is key to prevent double tracking. I have my own 'starting' method to assure perfection every time.

Looking at the detail here, my POS fails because of the serious slop in the arms that hold the wheels, it cannot be made to track correctly as bot arms twist a different amount - it really is poor.

But, it 'could' be fixed if nothing else pops up, still working on this and have plenty of time, a three-wheel unit would be great and i am on the lookout for a used unit.

Dave, for your low volume would it be perhaps sensible to explore outsourcing? Someone already tooled up would be able to knock them out cheaply.