Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I bought it

Default I bought it

The Supermax mill I've been posting about is finally mine. No pix yet since it will remain in the po's warehouse until I make space for it in my garage.
    I do want to share pics of some of the stuff I brought home that he threw in with the deal. He said he had never used any of it since bought 15 years ago. I'll preface this by saying that the man is an engineer who designs some very neat products, manufactured in his shop, and sold globally. He is not a machinist, and has limited machining know how. The Jacobs chuck came with one of the Leblond lathes, and he had no idea what it was for. The angle vice was what started the give a way, when I spotted it sitting on a pallet next to another machine he has for sale. I asked if it went with that machine, and he said I could have it if I wanted it. Still had an auction tag on it from many years ago. Another item he never used. He actually did buy the drill adapter for knee crank sprag, but had not used it since his brand new Bridgeport has power feed on all axis, plus most of his mill projects are heavy castings and he didn't think a Dewalt drill would lift the knee with the table loaded. I wish the Jacobs was D1-4.
    Last edited by Dave C; 03-10-2019 at 02:21 PM.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

I was able to modify a Jacob's backplate to hardinge taper! Some of them have a bolt on back; worth checking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

Nice haul!
    I just need one more tool,just one!

Quote Originally Posted by shampine1 View Post
    I was able to modify a Jacob's backplate to hardinge taper! Some of them have a bolt on back; worth checking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk
    This one has has an L0 spindle mount and no removable back plate, so looks like I won't be using it on my lathe. Darn!

Lewis Grizzard

Nice score - supermaxes are quality machines so you should be very happy like in forever happy...

Thanks AK, I hope so

Lewis Grizzard

Well now you have change your lathe spindle to L0.
    Just kidding, show us the back, even it it has a 5 inch thick adaptor, done right it could be very rigid.

Quote Originally Posted by 754 View Post
    Well now you have change your lathe spindle to L0.
    Just kidding, show us the back, even it it has a 5 inch thick adaptor, done right it could be very rigid.
    OK, here's the back:
    and here's the front:
    Obviously, it comes apart from the front, making me wonder if the mounting piece can be swapped out. Does Jacobs still make these things?

Lewis Grizzard

You might as well put it in that Priority Mail box and send it to me. I'll use it on my 1 1/2-8 lathe spindle and send you pictures of it.

By the way, I have 6.25" D1-4 backing plate floating around here somewhere.

The chuck was used on a 16" Leblond Lathe. You could use it on your 1 1/2-8 spindle if you grow the od by 3" and thread it to 6 tpi. I've been searching but cannot find out if these chucks are still in production. Rubber flex collets are sold by McMaster Carr, but they don't list the chuck.

Lewis Grizzard