Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Decision time for a mill.

Default Decision time for a mill.

Hello All. I need some help. I have on offer for about $1000 a large Jet mill/drill(with a tapping feature) or a J-head Bridgeport stuck in low range. Moving and unloading is one issue. Repairing the Bridgeport is the other issue. I would prefer the Bridgeport but also live in the world of reality when considering moving/unloading and installing it. I do not have model numbers and have not seen the machines in a while. A friend is thinning out his commercial machine shop and do not believe he would sell me rubbish.
    I never quite know whether or not to believe that mill/drills are as limited as people say they are.

Thanks

In general, I'd suggest a Chevy sedan over a Miata for family driving....

That's about the best anyone can offer without more information. We know what an average Bridgeport is but Jet has many models, from round column to knee mills. Some of the Jet models are pretty good.

If they are both the same general design I'd take the one that is in working condition. If the Jet is a round column it might make more sense to go with the BP and put the extra couple of hundred into fixing it.

Dan
    At the end of the project, there is a profound difference between spare parts and extra parts.

Yes, if possible I would avoid a round column machine, but the Jet does not sound like one.

A factor that you didn'y mention is power. Is either of them a 3 phase machine. If so, do you either have 3 phase or is it already equipped with a converter?
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

I started with an RF18 mill/drill(round column) and bought a J-head BP about a year later. I recommend you go for the BP. If you are concerned about moving it, hire a rigger, they are not that expensive. Repairing it is an excellent education on its innards and you should finish up confident to repair it in the future if need be. If the motor is 3-phase, go ahead and get a VFD and enjoy the benefits immediately. You won't be sorry.

RWO

Get the BP. Stuck in low gear is usually a lube problem and an easy fix. If it's something more serious, the BP is easy to work on if you have decent mechanical ability.
    “I know lots of people who are educated far beyond their intelligence”

Lewis Grizzard

Bridgeport, hands down!!!!

THANX RICH
    People say I'm getting crankier as I get older. That's not it. I just find I enjoy annoying people a lot more now. Especially younger people!!!

Thanks for the help. I have posted a new post having identified the mill(Enco 91034). The Bridgeport is a 1966 model. It is in fairly sad shape. The motor runs. It was in a battery factory maintenance department and has a few gouges in the table. My wife is concerned about moving the thing so I am trying to get some opinions on the Enco as mill. The other question for the BP is how far down to strip it to get it usable - i have no lifting equipment?

Quote Originally Posted by gweloboy View Post
    Thanks for the help. I have posted a new post having identified the mill(Enco 91034). The Bridgeport is a 1966 model. It is in fairly sad shape. The motor runs. It was in a battery factory maintenance department and has a few gouges in the table. My wife is concerned about moving the thing so I am trying to get some opinions on the Enco as mill. The other question for the BP is how far down to strip it to get it usable - i have no lifting equipment?
    I have no experience with mill/drill machines, but reason says a b'port has to be more ridgid. That said. I have considerable experience with making and repairing battery plant machinery. Having seen what the acid atmosphere does to A-20 and 316 stainless, I would be very cautious about buying the BP.

Lewis Grizzard

Dave C - Have you worked with Sports Metals?

I'll show my ignorance here. What are sports metals?

Lewis Grizzard