Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electronic component availability

Default Electronic component availability

Are there any brick & mortar locations left, post Radio Shack, where I can buy two crummy little 1A diodes?

Online there are plenty but at $7 shipping for $2 worth of product I'm less than motivated.
    Len

Not around here. After RS, I bought a few parts from repair shops but now they've dried up. My auto restoration used to be the same way. A lot of upholstery shops carried the various window, door and trunk rubber. As times got rough, stock went down to practically nothing. They could "order it for me". I always told them I could order it and probably for less. It got to where I had to order everything. And like you say, it's not cost effective to order just one.

Look at that.
    All the way from Helsinki to my desk!
    Aces Matti!
    Len

In a bigger city maybe, but in medium size towns with the demise of Radio Shack (who was really just a cell phone store the last several years) there isn't likely to be much. I've started stocking an array of components for my own projects. I year or so ago I needed a small amplifier for an invention I was working on. I bought enough parts to build ten of them in slightly different configurations. When I need 6 switches for a control panel I'll buy 50 of them, and make a generic version of the control panel available for sale. Yes my shop is a mess of extra parts. LOL.

The only retail location I can think of that "might" have what you want is a Fry's Electronics store. To my knowledge there is only one in my home state and they are about 180 miles away.

As sort of an aside... I think there are still one or two franchise Radio Shack stores with doors open. As far as I know none of the company stores are still around.
    Last edited by Bob La Londe; 03-11-2019 at 11:18 AM.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

When Radio Shack went belly-up and most of the local electronics repair shops went too I started to acquire a few old thrown out vcrs tvs microwaves etc and the like.
    Stripped them down and filed away the components. Now I have a pretty good assortment of components that don't really take up that much space once broken down, categorized and put into storage.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

You could try some repair shop and ask for diodes or you could recycle some from a old walwart or other power supply
    Helder Ferreira
    Setúbal, Portugal

The salvage guys of course have a good idea. Want to make a Plexiglas bender? You can buy some nichrome wire, or you can salvage a heating element from an old toaster.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

That's how I built mine.
    Helder Ferreira
    Setúbal, Portugal

They still exist - but not of much help, there is a local electronics store (similar to Radio Shack of 30-40 years ago) that carries all sorts of electronic "stuff". It has recently moved to a larger location to display more of it's inventory. (In the older location, your could barely squeeze through some of the aisles.) I can just walk into Greenbrook Electronics (North Plainfield ,NJ) and purchase any component I want.
    Browniesharp