Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Electronic component availability

I remember going to Baynesville with my father in the early 60s, when they were in the basement of the owner's home. When I was fixing TVs, radios, and stereos, in the 1970s, I often went there to use their tube checker and buy replacements, even new or rebuilt picture tubes. I continued to go there well into the 1990s and occasionally up until they closed a few years ago. But by that time it was much easier to just order components from Mouser or Digikey, or other distributors. It's become essentially impossible for a small store to stock the wide assortment of electronic parts available today, and many parts have become obsolete and replaced by new ones every few years. There is probably a niche market for someone to operate an on-line store, on eBay, Craig's List, and such, where the proprietor could just keep them in a garage or storage building with no need to handle customers coming in and rummaging about. One other venue that is disappearing is the Hamfest where vendors could set up tables of parts or operate from tailgates. But that required the vendor to have his table "manned" for 8-12 hours a day, and if lucky, perhaps make $100 a day.

Plenty of them on Ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/100PCS-IN...4AAOSwXXxZTTPH

A pound for a hundred, and free postage...

Ian
    Last edited by Ian B; 03-13-2019 at 05:25 AM.
    All of the gear, no idea...

If you mail your order to Digikey with payment by check or money order, shipping is free with no minimum order size. I use it all the time when I do not need parts for a week. Light weight stuff is usually shipped USPS, but they get to choose the shipping method. Just Google "digikey order form".

Quote Originally Posted by QSIMDO View Post
    What does the letter suffix mean after the "1N4001" please?
    T,G, etc.
    Digikey shows the plain 1N4001 as obsolete.
    I am not sure where they got N but diodes with one junction are 1Nxxxx and bipolar transistors with two junctions are 2Nxxxx. At least that is how they started out in the US. The Europeans went with 2SA, 2SB, 2SC and 2SD for high and low power NPN and PNP. Don't ask me which is which.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by QSIMDO View Post
    What does the letter suffix mean after the "1N4001" please?
    T,G, etc.
    Digikey shows the plain 1N4001 as obsolete.
    The last digit in that series is the voltage rating. It used to be called PIV ( peak inverse voltage) the diode could withstand. The series goes 50, 100, 200, 400 volts up to 1000 volts. A higher voltage diode can akways be used for a lower one. Price goes up with voltage rating but they are so dirt cheap that it does not pay to stock the 50 volt diodes. The difference might be a penny or less to move up and stock diodes that can be used in a higher voltage project

Quote Originally Posted by 6PTsocket View Post
    I am not sure where they got N but diodes with one junction are 1Nxxxx and bipolar transistors with two junctions are 2Nxxxx. At least that is how they started out in the US. The Europeans went with 2SA, 2SB, 2SC and 2SD for high and low power NPN and PNP. Don't ask me which is which.

2S.... is japanese

European standard would be AC... and BC...

This thread brings back memories of Allied Radio in Chicago back in the 50's and 60's. You walked in off the street, went to the counter and could get anything in their 3/4 in thick catalog. And there was always Olsen Electronics across the street. That being said, today you can use e-bay to find just about any electronic component or order from Digikey, Newark, Mouser or Allied (not sure if there is a connection). Times have changed but the components are still out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike72 View Post
    This thread brings back memories of Allied Radio in Chicago back in the 50's and 60's. You walked in off the street, went to the counter and could get anything in their 3/4 in thick catalog. And there was always Olsen Electronics across the street. That being said, today you can use e-bay to find just about any electronic component or order from Digikey, Newark, Mouser or Allied (not sure if there is a connection). Times have changed but the components are still out there.
    So much easier nowadays compared to what it was when I started 30 years ago as a 10 year old kiddo.

1. datasheets: you never had any sort of data for half of the components
    2. availability: nearest city had 1 or 2 tv/radio repair shops that sold you a BC337 transistor for buck a piece. Digikey is a dream come true compared to that
    3. oddball parts: half of the hobby books had builds around AC-something germanium transistors that were not available easily 30 years ago (thanks to ebay and internet even those are easier to find nowadays)

datasheets... I still have several bookcase shelves of manf data book form 25 year ago. TI and Motorola alone take 6 feet of shelf each! I need to dump them; all available in pdf.

1N refers to one active semiconductor junction. Hence all diodes are 1N devices. Transistors are 2N devices, with two active junctions.