Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: OT: Gamble on a Backhoe?

Sometimes even if you get stuff for "free" it can still be a nightmare,

but - there are things you can do to increase the odds in your favor,

so - hypothetically speaking even if your not going to make a move on it,

is the engine locked up from just sitting? bring a 3/4" drive tool kit and see - you do live in a high humidity area and diesels are "full bore" open on the intake side, also the exhaust stack flap is some concern in really heavy rains even if it covers can still drip water into the manifold enough to increase humidity levels,,, so if you can't budge the crank it will at least make you feel better about letting the pig go to the scrapper,,,

what if the crank moves? you still have the question as to why it was parked --- this is when you take action to pull the oil filter and if it's a canister you screw a new one back on for him and go home and you cut it open and spread the filters medium material out like an opened up accordion - now you have an entire mechanical history of the engines last "journey" right before your eyes, if it developed a rod knock it will be right there in front of you - different metalics mean different things on different engines but none are a good sign, you can research the engines internals and get to know what copper means, aluminum (if that beast even has any lol) and magnetic metal.
    if the filter is cartridge type it will make your job even easier - you can do the diagnoses on site...

Well what if the engine rotates freely and the filters medium material looks stellar ? now your really in a pickle - now you might have to get the damn thing lol of course it still could have a very expensive injection pump that has shot craps and will drain your wallet but pretty minimally invasive compared to replacing an engine and in fact would give you confidence in everything else as at least you know that's what shut it down...

I have diagnosed allot of vehicles this way, get scientific with it - if it's a big purchase it's worth in and the owner should let you do it if he's interested in letting the pig go...

I will add something to the mix above, if you could get it to rotate then you can see if it's got compression in ALL cylinders by simply rotating it through it's cycles and checking for resistance,
    You have to be extremely careful due to it being a diesel even after sitting that only you never know what could happen, you do NOT try to muscle your way through a diesel stroke - good way to get your arm broke - you apply light pressure and let it bleed down and take you through that way,,,

I say to go for this test also because things can happen in an instant like with the valve train that could shut an engine down fast enough to not pump any metalics into the filter,,, if your filter is clean and you got good comprendo in all cylinders that sure is a damn good sign,,, keep this in mind though - the test will most likely be flawed to some degree just from valves being open for that long and carbon dropping off in spots you don't like - so yeah somewhat inconclusive if that happens except for the fact that if most cylinders "catch" for close to 70/90 degree's it means you at least did not skip valve timing somehow.

I have a need for a backhoe that does not lend it self to renting. I have a number of projects but would have to work on it a few hours here and a few hours there.
    I looked and found a 580CK-B? sitting in the weeds. Asked the man if it was for sale, yes, could I look at it, yes.
    Operators platform and seat were loose. Pulled the cover off the final drive and luckily saw a tooth off a bull gear.....hmmm, looked again and noticed the ring gear was not meshed with the pinion. Told the man that and his response was "aaah, just needs pushed back over in place". me thinks the man has no clue about a ring and pinion and if something like that is broken what other disasters are lurking.
    Still sitting in the weeds

I have one that still sticks in my craw --- went to look as an inop. mitzu eclipse many moons ago, I forget what was wrong with the engine but it needed a rebuild so accepted that fact, the price was good enough for decent profit so i picked the guys brain as best as i could - told him I could handle one heavy hitter (being the engine) but needed to know for sure if the trans was good.

he swore up and down not a problem with the trans at all, so i load it up on the dolly and take it home - rebuild the engine - fire it up and go to take it for a drive and could tell within the first half block that the trans was hashed, pull the drain plug and chunks of metal start coming out...

call him back up and told him he lied about the trans and I wanted some compensation back - he just said "hey you bought it"
    I just said "hey - and I know where you live" and hung up...

hope I at least put a little worry into the sleaze bag...

$500 if you can extract it and get it home easily.

That thing is a pig. It was not maintained whatsoever from what I see, so everything will need a good going through.

If it only needed motor work, that is the least of your troubles. Just plan on doing a full restore, because after you tear it down to check it out, you may as well paint it etc. Plan on 80 hrs a week for a year and you'll have a nice backhoe.

If you get it home for $500 and things look bleak, you can always post it on CL for $1k or more and somebody will buy it.