Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some test shots with Andonstar ADSM 302 HDMI digital microscope

Quote Originally Posted by Dragons_fire View Post
    Worked for me.

Do you think this would work well enough to mount over the spindle to see when turning really small parts? I see on Amazon they start at $225CAD, which is a little much to experiment with.
    I haven't had change to compare with anything else like stereo microscope but based on even a quick shoddy setup I can tell that its MUCH better than having no microscope at all!

Makes amazing difference when you can actually see if the cutter is cutting, if its dull and how close to the workpiece you are!

Here is a 0,13mm pin with 0,008mm step (according to my DRO)

And here is 0,09mm pin

My wifes hairs are thicker than that!

(again, chinese DCGT insert, this time DIY sharpened as it was already used)

And for the metrically limited folks that is less than 0.004" diameter pin.
    0.0003" DOC. With carbide. And way below any speed recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    And way below any speed recommendations.
    You didn't order your lathe with the 800,000 RPM option?

Great images from the camera, much nicer than a loupe.

That thing is really cool.

that's fascinating - the carbide insert is not even "sharp" and you can see it's made by pressed pieces of smaller material - always was told that but never actually seen it like in that first pic

Not only did the link work for me, but about two clicks down the line there is a great joke about a man in an Irish pub.

Interesting post. I am looking for a new, better microscope. But I would want something with more control than this seems to have.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    No pictures on that link. Just black areas.
    Last edited by Paul Alciatore; 03-12-2019 at 07:13 PM.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

I've been thinking about adopting one of the USB microscopes for small parts on a lathe, but never did anything. The pictures posted here are amasing. I have no doubt the Andonstar microscope is good, but it appears to be quite big and this may present an issue.

There is another USB microscope on Amazon. It is Opti-Tekscope and it goes for $89.00. This one has a decent resolution and good reviews, but only measures 12 mm diameter by 128 mm long. I have asked a question about focal distances and still waiting for an answer. Anybody used it by any chance?

Quote Originally Posted by mikey553 View Post
    I've been thinking about adopting one of the USB microscopes for small parts on a lathe, but never did anything. The pictures posted here are amasing. I have no doubt the Andonstar microscope is good, but it appears to be quite big and this may present an issue.

There is another USB microscope on Amazon. It is Opti-Tekscope and it goes for $89.00. This one has a decent resolution and good reviews, but only measures 12 mm diameter by 128 mm long. I have asked a question about focal distances and still waiting for an answer. Anybody used it by any chance?
    Looks like 100% same model what I had earlier branded as andonstar v160
    Its one of the better USB microscopes with real 2mp resolution.
    Working distance for maximum resolution was quite short, something like 10mm. But you dont need that much magnification for machining.
    Build in lightning is a mixed blessing, too often it doesnt work because reflections and you need to rig up extra light.

Size-wise you are right. The ADSM 302 is bit bulky and the display can get to your way for example in lathe boring operations. On the other hand its nice that you dont need separate display or laptop.

I’m actually about to order the skinny USB model too as I had other use in mind for this adsm302

Another fella with Lorch lathe throw out challenge if I can do smaller shaft than that 0,09mm

So time to set up the Aciera F1 for turning and here is the shaft:

Smallest section length is 0.05mm, pin diameter is 0.014mm or 14 micrometers (calculated from diameter/lenght ratio)
    Or 5 "tenths"
    Last edited by MattiJ; 03-13-2019 at 01:47 PM.

Yet another test photo showing different inserts or checking sharpening:

Left to right:
    1. DCGT0702xxx (chinesium) aluminium insert, sharp, but looks like there is small fractures at the cutting edge. Would need more effort to clean the inserts..
    2. DCGT070204 UM grade 1115 Sandvik finishing insert for steel
    3. DCMT07 unknown make chinesium insert showing honed and pretty uneven edge