Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ok, go ahead and have a laugh at my expense.

I learned a long time ago that brain farts is part of living with any craft. You just had one....

It's hell getting old, isn't?

Quote Originally Posted by lugnut View Post
    So, how many rings did you turn before you discovered your mistake ?
    I shouldn't say this but it took me three times to get a dovetail right once. I just couldn't seem to get my head wrapped around the "slot" getting bigger when I was so used to parts getting smaller on the lathe. I was sneaking up on the last .020" with wide eyes and notes posted everywhere on that last try.

You've merely shifted from a Boring Operation, to a Facing Operation.

Everyone will at some point pick up a wrong number off the print. In your case it's actually great because there is no evidence of the F-Up left. So it did not happen.

Thanks for sharing.

Best Regards,
    Bob

Kinda like the plumbers pipe spec, You have the have the ID smaller than the OD or else the hole ends up on the outside of the pipe.

lg
    no neat sigline

Did the length come out right?

Yes but I scrapped it anyway.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Quote Originally Posted by larry_g View Post
    Kinda like the plumbers pipe spec, You have the have the ID smaller than the OD or else the hole ends up on the outside of the pipe.

lg
    no neat sigline
    Damn pipe sizes....that recently caught me out at work. Designing and building this big tapered mandrel for a fixture, and the customer changed the id size and tolerance range of the part. I had a piece of 3.5" sh80 to make the original from, but now needed more meat on the ID and a max od of 3.5"..... I hastily looked at the pipe size chart on the wall and said I needed 3.5" sh40...., but what I really needed was 3" sh40 (that has and od ~3.5"). The correct piece of pipe showed up today at lunch. I only need 12", but ordered 24" this time. I have a feeling....This is an onion job.....

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Dubeau View Post
    ...I have a feeling....This is an onion job.....
    I like that... perfect description, right down to the tears.

I know that feeling. Every time someone walks into my office and asks if I've got time for something "quick." I just take a deep breath... I know what's coming. They are NEVER quick; just doesn't happen, ever. The quicker they think the solution is, the more managers from different departments will be in the meeting that will inevitably happen.

Onion jobs... yup. Doesn't matter the profession, if you're the go-to for solving problems, you know exactly what those are. Perfect name.

David...