Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: DIY EDM -Electrical Discharge Machining

I had never heard or thought of a DIY edm device. When I encountered this video I got excited. Sure, yeah, we can build one of those and it would be very useful in my shop. It never occurred to me the guy in the video was marketing anything. My apologies if anyone on here jumped to any erroneous assumptions.

Quote Originally Posted by dalesvp View Post
    This something I'd like in my shop

https://youtu.be/rpHYBz7ToII

Quote Originally Posted by dalesvp View Post
    I had never heard or thought of a DIY edm device. When I encountered this video I got excited. Sure, yeah, we can build one of those and it would be very useful in my shop. It never occurred to me the guy in the video was marketing anything. My apologies if anyone on here jumped to any erroneous assumptions.
    No problem. You have registered here before youtube was invented so obviously you didn't just register to spam advertisements.
    And Ben Krasnow (Applied Science) has other really interesting projects even tho this time it seem he is promoting commercial products.

There have been a few in the HSM in the past. One was fairly simple and easy to build and didn't have complicated electronics and the author showed examples of it going through files with different shapes. I don't remember which issue it was. Maybe someone else does.

Quote Originally Posted by wdtom44 View Post
    There have been a few in the HSM in the past. One was fairly simple and easy to build and didn't have complicated electronics and the author showed examples of it going through files with different shapes. I don't remember which issue it was. Maybe someone else does.
    It was before George joined the magazine. A thread was posted and many commented on how dangerous it was electrically. Some proposals were made on improving it, but eventually the thread was locked and then deleted as the editor decided the project should have never published and they did not want to encourage anyone to pursue it further.

Chip , I built the first unit, in fact I was the first one in the yahoo group to finish Ben's original unit and he was excited to hear my report and comments.
    Here is a picture of the unit.
    Notice the Old Volt Meter, WW II surplus. Home made cabinet and old banana connectors and surplus WW II toggle switches. Purchases were a 48 volt transformer, (~$40)a servo motor ( $ 15 eBay) and the Caps and resistors ($30) and some odds and ends like a LED lamp . I used an old PC power supply fan.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...otoFilter=ALL#

Rich

The article that was deleted was based (IMHO) on a design from about 1963 in Popular Science or Mechanics that used 120 Volt Ac as the power source and light bulbs and caps to set up the
    oscillation circut. I built one to burn out a broken tap and the problem is you need to go up down on the quill to maintain a spark as it is not power feed drive.
    Took an hour to burn out a 10-32 or so. When i built Ben's unit, I burned a square hole 3/16 " square with brass tubing. used about 6 inches of tube, but went through a 5 /32' thick carbide tool bit in 20 minutes ! so it worked. Recently burned out 3 0-80 taps in a friends project in half and hour total ( He had maybe 80 hours of machining in the part when disaster struck...3 times.. So it works well enough !
    I did not build the tank,pump and filter system and I usually do small stuff and a bread pan is sufficient , or I build a dam with modelling clay around tough parts.
    A friend sent a large railroad part 5 x 14 x 2 and wanted a 5-40 burned out. I made a clay like a cup around the hole and it held maybe 3 ounces of fluid...but worked.
    If you want fancy work like images and special shapes, go for the tank .
    I talked to a EDM machinist a few years ago and he told me to add a drive to my electrode holder so it turns at about 800 RPM and the work will go even faster..if you are burning out with a round rod.

Thanks for responding, Rich. That's a clean build. I, too, fabbed a case out of on-hand aluminum sheet and barely fit everything in afterward (not so clean)! I have the servo head mechanics all done, just need to make the electrode holder. I want the ability to feed the dielectric fluid through the electrode as well as flush-around, so that makes it a bit more complicated. Ben upgraded the power-handling components on the second version of the pulse supply. That, and the transformer I used gives me a pretty stout operating current. For me the resistors are the weakest link.

For broken taps a solonoid type edm is easy to make. Here is an example
    https://goo.gl/images/yFW4nL
    Helder Ferreira
    Setúbal, Portugal