Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY EDM -Electrical Discharge Machining

Default DIY EDM -Electrical Discharge Machining

This something I'd like in my shop

https://youtu.be/rpHYBz7ToII

Quote Originally Posted by dalesvp View Post
    This something I'd like in my shop

https://youtu.be/rpHYBz7ToII
    Wasn't there just baxedm advertisement thread like 3 days ago that suddenly disapeared?
    Only really interesting part of the build is the spark generator and that was closed-source commercial product..

Interesting video nonetheless.. guess Ben got spoils of war from baxedm.

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Wasn't there just baxedm advertisement thread like 3 days ago that suddenly disapeared?
    Only really interesting part of the build is the spark generator and that was closed-source commercial product..

Interesting video nonetheless.. guess Ben got spoils of war from baxedm.
    Yea, Baxedm is promoting his sales all over, youtube, forums, you name it. Its a commercial business and just the power supply is around $3000 . His thread here disappeared with a poke of George B's finger.

They are definitely buildable!
    I dreamed up a switch mode pulsed current source when I built mine. I mean, why not over the top??? ;-)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

what so special about the spark generator, why so expensive?

I've a sinker type designed by Robert Langlois, many have built them and they work. I believe he did a follow up series on a wire EDM.

Do those sorts of units have some major failing this expensive one makes up for?

Quote Originally Posted by MattiJ View Post
    Yes. George explained he was going to initially allow it but then decided it was nothing but spam and removed it.

And it does seem a little curious that someone who hasn't posted anything here in over a year shows up and posts a one line promotion link, without even revealing what it is.

The EDM type machine and a Tap Disintegrator are quite technically different, the EDM uses a high DC voltage and precise positioning to maintain an arc, disintegrator typically uses low voltage-high current AC with one method used is a simple 50hz/60hz vibrator type mechanism to chip/arc away at the tap or item to remove.
    Max.
    Last edited by MaxHeadRoom; 03-13-2019 at 12:04 PM.

I built a pulse-type power supply/generator/servo controller designed by Ben Fleming. It looks like it will work as advertised just playing around in open air. I'm still working on the head. The PS build was fun, lots of machining the way I did it.

My Ben Fleming unit is a valuable tool in my shop.
    I do admit to using it more often on friends projects that go wrong, but it's fun
    I built it when his book first came out for $100 as I had some parts in a scrap box
    Rich

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Carlstedt View Post
    . . .I built it when his book first came out for $100 as I had some parts in a scrap box
    Rich
    You did way better than me! Admittedly, I did make a few changes but I'm already into it $800+. I bought the first book and board, but decided to go for the pulse version. Did you do the original or pulse, and is it working like you thought (hoped) it would?