Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: hazards of using epoxy

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    WOW YES! how awful and what a timely post, I got a blotch of hypoid on my right sleeve of my favorite winter jacket - it was a huge blotch, but I sprayed degreaser on it and washed it - not much of a change - tried spraying purple power next wash - same deal - iv been keeping track of it - this is the 6th wash and i still smell it but it is getting better,

and over the past couple weeks iv been asking myself (maybe some thing the "oil guy" Willy can answer) I deal in all kinds of lubricants and nothing has the smell of 90wt so it must be an additive they put in to help with hypoid gears... ???

what up with the stink factor?
    Yeah great smell that EP gear oil ain't it?
    The smell is most likely the phosphorous and sulfur extreme pressure additives I would believe, perhaps with a bit of chlorine just to embellish the fragrance.

Years ago I had a 1 ton 4X4 with a wooden flat deck. Changed the gearbox/transfer case oils and both differentials one day and ended up with enough old gear oil to treat my dried up old wood deck on the truck with the used gear oil.
    It was a warm summer evening and the smell was a little strong so I left the truck out back away from the house so that I could leave the windows to the house open. Came out to get the truck in the morning, took one look at the deck and couldn't believe the amount of bugs stuck to it.
    Every flying insect within 2 miles must have been drawn to it and stuck to the oil, it looked like a soft fuzzy blanket! Ever since then whenever I end up wearing that stuff I make a point of cleaning up real well before the bugs start hoovering around.
    Remember Pigpen from the old Charlie Brown cartoons, I think he was an EP 90 guy.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

The smell of diesel fuel is equally as hard to get rid of.
    Wash with an orange citrus base cleaner or some tell me orange juice works just as well.
    The diesel smell will be gone with one wash.
    I've never tried it with gear oil but it may work, sure does work with diesel smell.

Ed

I have had the faint smell of cat piss in my shop for a couple of months. Can’t find it I even bought a ultraviolet black flashlight to look for it. Didn’t find it. But made the mistake of showing the light to my wife and she used it in the bathroom and freaked out how dirty the toilet was.
    Cat piss smell is all but gone now.
    Back to the epoxy. It doesn’t bother me too much, and I am VERY, VERY allergect to a lot of other things.

Quote Originally Posted by A.K. Boomer View Post
    WOW YES! how awful and what a timely post, I got a blotch of hypoid on my right sleeve of my favorite winter jacket - it was a huge blotch, but I sprayed degreaser on it and washed it - not much of a change - tried spraying purple power next wash - same deal - iv been keeping track of it - this is the 6th wash and i still smell it but it is getting better,

and over the past couple weeks iv been asking myself (maybe some thing the "oil guy" Willy can answer) I deal in all kinds of lubricants and nothing has the smell of 90wt so it must be an additive they put in to help with hypoid gears... ???

what up with the stink factor?
    AK, try a soak with about 1 part white vinegar to about 6 parts water and a dollop of clothes detergent. Give it a few hours then wash as normal.

I had a male that would decide that he needed to try different litter box like items from time to time. NOTHING gets that smell out like the white vinegar treatment.

The white vinegar thing is good to know. In the past I have used bleach straight out of the jug, it starts foaming when it hits, but it kills it.
    But the question is how do you find it in a 4,800 square shop?

Story I have heard around here goes that the original Araldite epoxy used pigs urine as a feedstock. Wasn't able to find any confirmation for that so maybe its just a rumor based on the smell..

Some dogs seem to be absolutely fascinated with the epoxy smell, one dog we had needed to sniff the curing epoxy batch so closely that it got even to her nose. Luckily it was easy to wipe off from wet nose.

Them 2k epoxys nowadays are based on halohydrin resins (epichlorhydrin esters e.g.). These already reek quite horribly on their own....and as if that was not enough, the hardener component contains several amine compounds that give off this fishy cat pee like odour. All in all a rather terrible concoction. I use Locktite 2k epoxies for glueing tensile strength anchors to test bodies and the stuff just reeks to high heavens. And it lingers on clothes and skin for the whole day.

But yeah...amines can be neutralised by acid treatment, they are susceptible to binding H+ from acidic media and usually become quite docile regarding the smelling part after being "protonated". So the white vinegar treatment makes sense from a chemists point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by markx View Post
    Them 2k epoxys nowadays are based on halohydrin resins (epichlorhydrin esters e.g.). These already reek quite horribly on their own....and as if that was not enough, the hardener component contains several amine compounds that give off this fishy cat pee like odour. All in all a rather terrible concoction. I use Locktite 2k epoxies for glueing tensile strength anchors to test bodies and the stuff just reeks to high heavens. And it lingers on clothes and skin for the whole day.
    Epoxy is usually really mild compared to 2-K acrylic adhesives. At least to my nose.
    And in some factories where I have visited the industrial flooring guys are pouring that stuff by cubic meters to make the floors, I don't think anyone should be within 1 mile without fully pressurized biohazard suit.

As an interesting aside, and related to the recent thread on spell checkers. When I composed my post to this thread it picked up Hypoid, and the alternatives it gave were hypo id, hypo-id, and hypothyroid. I remarked to my wife that the spell checker was making up words again, so she said maybe not and to do a search on the words. The search results for hypo id, and hypo-id both came back as Hypoid,(I do know that hypothyroid is an actual word).

I'm using a Chromebook, so I'm fairly sure the spell checker is by Google, and one of the suggestions that the spell checker gives is to check for the word using Google.

On the topic of stinky laundry, I recently had a tube of Burt's Bees lip balm go through the wash. The wash was fine - it was the dryer that was doom. Ugh. I checked my pockets but missed it, deep in a front pocket on my jeans. I walked into the laundry room after tossing them into the drier and asked "who has been spraying something?" No one would admit to it. It smelled a bit oily, mentol, mint. I figured it out pretty quick.

What a mess! The stuff melted in the dryer and stained a bunch of my clothes. I tried a bunch of stuff. I ended up spotting with WD40 and then using pine sol to get the wd40 out. Getting the cleaner smell out took many cycles. It felt like the nursery rhyme - to catch the fly to catch the spider...

If I did it over I might have gone straight to a chlorinated solvent, like a dry cleaner would.