Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring floods!

Default Spring floods!

Flooding all over north merica right now. We are in the middle of it. They canceled school today because of the flooding. Parts of the city are completely shut down because water everywhere.

I have my own problems. We live on the highest natural point (elevation) in the city. However our whole back yard is bowl shaped and full of water now (and its raining yet). The water is 1" away from entering my shop.

I went around earlier (because I've been threw a few spring floods) and checked all the sump pumps in the houses (rentals and all). But I have never ever had to worry about the shop. Any sort of pump is sold out in stores. I was using the plow truck yesterday to push water down (up) the driveway out into the street. It brings it down for awhile but only for awhile, within minutes it is right back to where it was. Got a feeling today is going to be much more fun.

I will try to get some pics.

Who else is putting up with the floods?
    Andy

Hope this link works. This is someones pic from my town. Most of the town looks like this.

https://scontent-msp1-1.xx.fbcdn.net...75&oe=5D0BE0A7
    Andy

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    I have my own problems. We live on the highest natural point (elevation) in the city. However our whole back yard is bowl shaped and full of water now (and its raining yet). The water is 1" away from entering my shop.

I went around earlier (because I've been threw a few spring floods) and checked all the sump pumps in the houses (rentals and all). But I have never ever had to worry about the shop. Any sort of pump is sold out in stores.
    You maintain rentals and have no spare pumps?
    Any way of draining the "bowl" to a lower area with a trench or a syphon?

Quote Originally Posted by reggie_obe View Post
    You maintain rentals and have no spare pumps?
    Any way of draining the "bowl" to a lower area with a trench or a syphon?
    Oh I've got pumps on hand. Was just mentioning all pumps have been cleared out of the stores (by others). Septic guys are making a fortune running around pumping water out of houses and yards for people.

Yes, the plan for today is to set up a pump by the shop and send it out to the street.
    Andy

Maybe be thankful that it isn't snow(?) I enjoy winter but I'm ready for a change and really looking forward to summer. We still have snow banks everywhere but luckily we didn't get a lot of snow this season.
    Work hard play hard

I've been keeping a close eye on mine too, but so far all is well. Hope you make it through with no issues.

I've got a spare sump pump sitting ready to go should the main one stop working. But we got flooded a few years ago when the main one quit (float switch stuck) while I was at work, and nobody was around to switch it over..... . I came home to 4" of water in the basement. That kicked off the whole basement gut job, and reno that I'm still chipping away at. Floods suck. In that case the ground was still frozen, and it rained for a couple days straight. All that water had to go somewhere. We've been getting a lot of rain the past couple days, and the ground is still frozen....but thankfully nothing yet. Pump still working, and running as much as it normally does. Quite a few people in town have been flooded though.

What a weird start to spring. This winter wasn't bad, but I'm ready for warmer weather.

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    Flooding all over north merica right now. We are in the middle of it. They canceled school today because of the flooding. Parts of the city are completely shut down because water everywhere.

To hell with pumps for the long term, if you're mostly higher than surrounding grade run a drain to daylight!
    Len

Looking out the shop door.

I pulled the kids wheeler out when the water started coming up. My red one is froze in yet.

Andy

Man that's going to be in the shop when the snow melts. Instead of a pump I'd be getting a mini digger and cut a trench for an outlet. When the weather improves lay a drain and cover it over.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Quote Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
    Man that's going to be in the shop when the snow melts. Instead of a pump I'd be getting a mini digger and cut a trench for an outlet. When the weather improves lay a drain and cover it over.
    There is nowhere to dig too. It is high because the snow is/was melting. It is a bit cooler today so that helps. This is the highest I have seen it here in all my years. I have one small pump going (electric). I will see if it starts to go down here. If not I may break out the gas pump(s).
    Andy