Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Spring floods!

Yikes. Here's hoping it doesn't crest your shop floor. Looks like you have a couple inches to play with still, but there's still a lot of snow in the background.......
    any chance at sandbagging it?

Hi,

No real melt here yet. Still too cold. But there is concern that our township road will wash out when it does melt. It often goes underwater during the melt because it's only a bit higher than the lake it drains into. And a couple 1000 acres drains through the area. So I'm hoping for a slow melt this year.
    If you think you understand what is going on, you haven't been paying attention.

Hope all goes well for you Andy. Can you sandbag around the entrance, dig a small sump and maybe place a pump there as a last defense before it goes any further?

Pray for frost and a slow melt.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    There is nowhere to dig too. It is high because the snow is/was melting. It is a bit cooler today so that helps. This is the highest I have seen it here in all my years. I have one small pump going (electric). I will see if it starts to go down here. If not I may break out the gas pump(s).
    Maybe you could use that plow truck and some of that snow to dam up around the shop door? If it's packed well, that might hold the water off for a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by vpt View Post
    There is nowhere to dig too. It is high because the snow is/was melting. It is a bit cooler today so that helps. This is the highest I have seen it here in all my years. I have one small pump going (electric). I will see if it starts to go down here. If not I may break out the gas pump(s).
    Ah, sorry I misunderstood. When you said you were at the highest elevation around but with a bowl-shaped yard I figured there must be somewhere to trench to for a run-off.
    Peter - novice home machinist, modern motorcycle enthusiast.

Denford Viceroy 280 Synchro (11 x 24)
    Herbert 0V adapted to R8 by 'Sir John'.
    Monarch 10EE 1942

Those of you along the Mississippi corridor should be worried because in northern Minnesota the snow has not started to melt enough to run off but there is more snow than I have seen and the water content is also quite high. The 10 day forecast shows the temperature to be rising each of the 10 days which means the runoff will be quite quick. If you live on low ground, this might be the year to move anything with wheels to higher ground.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter. View Post
    Ah, sorry I misunderstood. When you said you were at the highest elevation around but with a bowl-shaped yard I figured there must be somewhere to trench to for a run-off.
    You understood right, we are at the highest point in our town but with a bowl in the backyard (like a mini volcano). But there is no way we could dig any trench out to anywhere as it is roads/parking lot/neighbors land around us.

Quote Originally Posted by RMinMN View Post
    Those of you along the Mississippi corridor should be worried because in northern Minnesota the snow has not started to melt enough to run off but there is more snow than I have seen and the water content is also quite high. The 10 day forecast shows the temperature to be rising each of the 10 days which means the runoff will be quite quick. If you live on low ground, this might be the year to move anything with wheels to higher ground.
    Same here with northern (and even here yet) WI. Tons of snow up north just waiting to come down the Wi river and dump into the mississippi. Good advise to our southern buddies to get ready now!

I had the small electric pump running all day and night. Water has went down around 4". I think we may survive!
    Andy

If you don't/can't get a drain off your property (check with the local government, you could tie into their road drains) then fill in the low spots on your property.
    You are not required by law to establish or maintain catchment ponds on your property.
    Rain falls everywhere and drains where it will.
    Len

Quote Originally Posted by QSIMDO View Post
    If you don't/can't get a drain off your property (check with the local government, you could tie into their road drains) then fill in the low spots on your property.
    You are not required by law to establish or maintain catchment ponds on your property.
    Rain falls everywhere and drains where it will.

I'm not to worried about it. Like I mentioned I've lived here for around 40 years now and this is the first time it has been this high. Unless global warming makes this a trend.
    Andy

Don't let your guard down just yet. Seems like around here the once in a hundred year fire/flood is more like every five years.
    Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories