Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: CNC Shaper

Solly, didnt read all the replies.

I think its a great idea. I have a small shaper. I would not want to convert a large 24". I have some extra steppers and servos that would move my lil 7" shaper.

I just dont know how many configurations you could do before it becomes no longer a shaper but just another push button machine in the garage. HAAA!

Hell no. My shaper stays as is. I was lucky and all the shaper was there.

Naw.. Ill keep the lil guy sitting in the corner till some nice warm summer day I decide to play with the shaper. Might actually make something in the process, maybe not. Loads of fun anyway. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

Quote Originally Posted by Joel View Post
    Yeah, this guy is clever, but almost too OCD for me.
    His workshop, and his machine tools, i mean if ever there was that expression "eat your dinner off.....".
    His lathe & mill are cleaner than my kitchen top.
    Or no work ever gets done...........

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    I don't know how this guy set his sensors for stroke position, but a Hall effect sensor on the bull gear would give more than enough accuracy.
    -Not sure about that, considering that stroke length is independent of the bull gear rotation. As you wouldn't always want the ram making a full stroke (for example, while cutting a keyway or spline- to say nothing of an internal spline) you'd have to have the sensor detecting the actual ram movement- and moreover, have said sensors adjustable.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

Quote Originally Posted by The Artful Bodger View Post
    No big deal to keep track of bull wheel position and even easier if it is driven by a stepper. Furthermore if ram is driven by a stepper the length of stroke could be controlled.
    <snip>
    Were you contemplating just stopping and reversing the drive motor? Maybe a little more complicated than it appears at first. The traditional drive is designed to return the ram at a faster speed than the forward stroke,which of course could be done with motor speed. The stroke length is determined by the position of the slide in the bull wheel. Again, that could be obviated by motor reversal. In order to get maximum stroke when needed, the slide would have to be positioned there and then motor rotation reduced for short strokes which would be the most disadvantageous condition for maximum torque or power at the ram.

It would seem doable but does give up a lot of the advantages of the mechanical design.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Nickel View Post
    -Not sure about that, considering that stroke length is independent of the bull gear rotation. As you wouldn't always want the ram making a full stroke (for example, while cutting a keyway or spline- to say nothing of an internal spline) you'd have to have the sensor detecting the actual ram movement- and moreover, have said sensors adjustable.

Doc.
    Actually, fully forward and fully retracted is always the same position on the bull gear rotation. The stroke length isn't controlled by gear rotation but by the slide position inside the bull gear.
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

Always thought converting all axis to cnc (including the ram) would make a stout cnc... (mounting a spindle on the ram)

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    Actually, fully forward and fully retracted is always the same position on the bull gear rotation.
    -Yessir, basically at 90 degrees and 270 degrees of the bull gear rotation.

However, now that I think a little more on it, we'd want to give the controller more time to move the tool or the table. And since the controller can't "choose" when to fire the ram, it has a limited amount of time between the tool clearing the work and reengaging the work to move whichever axis needs to be moved.

Which means the 'clear of the work' position is a variable length of an arc of the gear rotation- a single Hall effect sensor wouldn't cut it. We'd need something more like a rotary encoder, or at the very least, a shutter wheel.

You'd likely have to roll the setup by hand through one cycle to 'teach' the controller where everything is before starting.

Doc.
    Doc's Machine. (Probably not what you expect.)

All the information required to determine the position of the ram can be had from one sensor (Hall effect etc) provided the wheel turns at a constant speed. A single Hall effect sensor can detect the passing of each bull gear tooth but you would need something the detect the bull gear 'zero' position.

Stroke length could be determined from the speed of the ram.
    Last edited by The Artful Bodger; 03-16-2019 at 03:35 PM.

Fanuc driven shaper with diamond tooling. Finish was simply amazing in person. Starts at 1:53. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VmuGVUb6Ssw

Product page - https://www.fanuc.eu/fi/en/robonano
    Last edited by Zahnrad Kopf; 03-16-2019 at 09:38 PM.