Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Precision Bench Lathes

The best way around that bit of damage, if you have a mill, or know someone with a mill is to make a long one piece tee that is a good fit in the bed with the bolt holes spaced to match the headstock. That spreads the forces over a good long length. I use keysteel for this type of work, but any medium tensile or machinable and tappable high tensile would do.

Quote Originally Posted by BCRider View Post
    Looks like you may have an "orphan" on your hands. Nothing even close to that number on the website. And even googling for "bison 9287 chuck" does not turn up anything usable.
    So what?

You say "orphan" as if one should run away screaming.

It was new 15 years ago, I'd be surprised if they still made the same model. It's no more an "orphan" than all the Logan, Southbend, Atlas, Sheldon, and even Monarch lathes.

It's an older model, and there may be a newer version available. I have other 4 jaw chucks of similar style. I have no idea why one would want the heavy duty style on a lighter lathe in the general 10" size. There is no particular advantage, and some obvious disadvantages as some have pointed out.

Or, the number on the front may not be the model number. The number may be hidden under the backplate, which I am too lazy to remove.

Their website is so bad that I have not the patience to look through it, but they do not seen to show any similar 4 jaw other than one of the self centering models.

But, as you see in the pic, it is certainly a Bison chuck.
    Last edited by J Tiers; 04-13-2019 at 09:52 PM.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Buy used. Only buy from the family of the guy who bought it new, and only if you get everything - all his tools, tooling, stock and books.

That was my first set of criteria and it took me 3 years to find a nice South Bend 9" Model B. The original box from South Bend was leaning in a corner, filthy. I really liked that machine .. but it couldn't take 5C collets in the spindle, just 3C.

I know you said you can't, but I now think the ideal size for a home shop guy is 14x40.

metalmagpie

The lightweight independent four jaw chucks in the range of 4-6" are much commoner in the UK because of the huge numbers of Myford lathes produced using either integral threads or a threaded backplate. An inch saved in the length is a significant amount on a smaller machine.

Quote Originally Posted by J Tiers View Post
    So what?

You say "orphan" as if one should run away screaming........
    Not at all. Just simply an observation that they don't seem to carry a model that resembles what you have. I have no idea of any possible reason why they felt that the model you needed to be dropped in favor of what they offer now.

Hell, for smaller size chucks I think I'd rather have what you have over the ones they offer now.

OK, got the wrong impression. N P.

I quite agree, the big one I have came with the lathe, but has been demoted to being a drill press fixture, and I rarely use even that, because one of the jaws was nearly stripped when I got it with the lathe.

It was very clumsy to use, and will not close on anything under 12 or 15mm or so diameter, which only sort-of overlaps with 3C collets so no particular loss.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan