Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: MIG welding close to computers???

It might be just coincidence but I seemed to have bricked my cell phone while TIG welding. It was in my pocket maybe 15 inches from the TIG torch. I chalked it up to the Hight Freguency start and the arc. So now when I weld I shut my phone off and leave it at the door.
    How to become a millionaire: Start out with 10 million and take up machining as a hobby!

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    It might be just coincidence but I seemed to have bricked my cell phone while TIG welding. It was in my pocket maybe 15 inches from the TIG torch. I chalked it up to the Hight Freguency start and the arc. So now when I weld I shut my phone off and leave it at the door.
    I've heard that a few times. Cell phone being bricked while TIG welding. A buddy of mine (has a small shop that he almost lives in) tosses his phone on the easy chair in the middle of the room whenever he is TIG welding.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Forest View Post
    Not a coincidence at all but a real threat to your phone. Keep doing what you are doing and leave it off and at the door. A buddy of mine who has a mobile welding welding business lost two before he realized it's cheaper to miss a call than to keep buying phones.

This from Jody at Welding Tips and Tricks.

Save yourself a big OPPS! When Tig welding with high Frequency

Take your cell phone out of your pocket! When Tig welding with high Freq it only takes one time to hit the button close to your pocket and that high freq will fry your phone. Its a real pain in the ass when you pack up your stuff for the day and now have a mystery dead phone in your pocket. I have two buddies that have fried phones and I have personally fried my electronic car door opener. Of course we never thought it would happen to us. So there ya go save yourself a bad day.

Home, down in the valley behind the Red Angus
    Bad Decisions Make Good Stories

Did a good deal of tig welding with my phone in pants pocket, and it never turned a hair. Probably had the wires nearly laying on it from time to time, no problem. Might depend on the phone.

Good idea not to let the wires nearby, I do not think cell phones are as well shielded as car or desktop computers, especially since cell phones have to have an antenna as part of their operation. That is an entry point for potentially damaging EMI. Damage the receiver and the phone is not much use.

Plus it may allow damaging voltages through into the power supply, where bad things may happen.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

Hi Guys,

I was MIG welding several days ago and forgot my phone was in my front pocket. I lucked out because there was no affect to my phone. Naturally, all previous replies were specifically talking about TIG welding around phones, etc. and not MIG welding. It was also pointed out, more than several times, that TIG and High Frequency would harm the phone and possibly computers with no mention of MIG welding.

Nevertheless, I will endeavor to remember to take my phone from my person and leave it in the house.

Harold
    For those having fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know.
    Freedom is only one generation away from extinction.

I would certainly not count on the type of welding to make a difference. All welding involves an electric "spark" discharge of varying intensity, and it all makes wideband radio noise. The relatively powerful "signals" can get into euipment and potentially do damage.

Cell phones are designed to pick up certain signals, so a powerful signal of the right frequency has automatically got a pathway in. That is not necessarily true of other types of computer, which normally are designed to prevent signals from getting out. That also normally protects against signals getting in.

So cellphones may be specifically much more sensitive.

Keep eye on ball.
    Hashim Khan

I've MIG welded for years with my iPhone in my pants pocket, and off and on with airpods in my ears, and it doesn't seem to have damaged it (or rather, them, as I upgraded to a newer iPhone last year), and it doesn't seem to affect the bluetooth connection to the airpods either, unlike my microwave oven, which does cause the bluetooth connection to drop out if it's running and I'm near it (within about 1m of it).

Edit:
    PS: Just to follow up, my Apple Watch does not like the spray from flux-core mig welding. I was doing a little bit of welding with some short metalworking gloves instead of proper welding gloves that are longer, and some of the sparks/flaming bits of metal hit the sapphire display crystal and left a bunch of pock-marks on it... It still works fine, but I can feel the roughness now.
    Last edited by dave_r; 04-20-2019 at 02:59 AM.

Getting excited. UPS sent me a tracking notice my welder has been picked up.
    *** I always wanted a welding stinger that looked like the north end of a south bound chicken. Often my welds look like somebody pointed the wrong end of a chicken at the joint and squeezed until something came out. Might as well look the part.