Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lathe Carriage Stop

Cheers Tim. All useful tips. When you say "course" would metric course be course enough or are you meaning very course? The main clamp thread is roughly equivalent to an M10 which defaults to 1.5mm pitch (about 17 tpi).

I used a 3/8-16 Socket Head Cap Screw so that 10x1.5 should be fine.
    Illigitimi non Carborundum
    9X49 Birmingham Mill, Reid Model 2C Grinder, 13x40 ENCO GH Lathe, 6X18 Craftsman lathe, Sherline CNC mill, Eastwood TIG200 AC/DC and lots of stuff from 30+ years in the trade. Now I boil oil

When in use, does the bed-stop just act as a means to manual repeatability, or does it trip the autofeed mechanism.

On my Colchester it serves to stop the carriage in autofeed, with no adjustment on the block, but using an array of differing length adjustable screws, on a rotatable barrel, attached to the saddle.

On mine there is no provision to stop the auto feed, it would just be for repeating a position (start of a thread for example) or measuring carriage travel. You'd think that could be done with the graduations on the handwheel...but they bare little relation to actual movement - to the point where I currently use the compound for short dimension-critical moves.
    I also plan to use it as an idiot-proofing feature. The idiot, of course, being me. I've had a 4" wheel chucked up and it's very easy to run the carriage into the front edge of it at the bottom as the carriage obscures your view of it. Something stopping the carriage from going too far would prevent that even if tools or angles are changed.

Hi Everyone,

Yep, I think it looks great also. Nice job enginuity!

I made this one, oh................. about 38 years ago or so:

And FINALLY put in this locking screw, oh..............about 6 months ago or so:

Best wishes to ya’ll.

Sincerely,

Jim

"To invent you need a good imagination and a pile of junk" - Thomas Edison

"I've always wanted to get a job as a procrastinator but I keep putting off going out to find one so I guess I'll never realize my life's dream. Frustrating!" - Me