Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is this chuck junk??

You'll probably be happy with it.... if you get it. 95.4% positive feedback doesn't give me much confidence in the seller, though.

Hey I think its a good chuck, price not a determination.

I bought an 8" chuck new that was also inexpensive. I specifically bought it to make a welding rototab. TIG welding and a positioner is fun. I dont have any manual dexterity, never have.

So I bought some nice big pillow blocks to mount it. Some DC drives (I got stupid, bought all I could find for a sec,. Hoarder disease, ehh ).

And guess where it sits? Yup, from the day I bought the parts. Stupid me likes to accumulate projects that never take off.

Solly for the hijack. JR
    My old yahoo group. Bridgeport Mill Group

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/...port_mill/info

I'm wary of old chucks myself, because every time I use my lathe I am fighting my worn out old chucks. Even the 4-jaw is a pain in the ass, seems the jaws are soft and even though I got it real good by boring them once, they are now back to being a complete PITA to indicate the last few hundreths because the part keeps "tipping" because it's bellmouthed again. The three jaw is no better.

I want a new 5" 3-jaw and 6" 4-jaw badly but I can't afford new quality. I have other stuff I need to save for as well. I am alternating between buying a new Chinese 3 jaw or a used quality one. Both seem like tossing the dice.

I'd really like a 3-jaw that can be adjusted, that would probably allow me to get by without a proper 4-jaw for a while.

Vertex chucks from Taiwan are less expensive than Bison and are better quality than most of the Chinese ones.
    Four jaw independent is definitely the way to go as long as you have a dti or lever indicator.
    Last edited by old mart; 04-05-2019 at 09:20 AM.

I have both a lever indicator and normal dial indicator. But why is a lever one "better" in this case?

Lever indicators can work in any attitude reliably, but some plungers can stick when used horizontally.

I also have a SANOU 4 jaw and no, these are not especially good quality. It is tight and operates as it should. Likely won't hold real tight tolerances but for a hobby guy, it works. My expectations were limited.

The fit and finish on the SANOU was a world better just visually, than the pictures of this $65 chuck. Only thing wrong with my SANOU was cutting fluid left on it stained the body. Came off with some WD40 and scotch bright. Otherwise tight, and seems to be decent once I cleaned and re lubed it. I'd have to think that the folks selling these $65 chucks would select the best photo available for marketing purposes. IF this is the best photo....well.....

For $65 bucks maybe worth a shot given realistic expectations.

Man save a lot of grief, make sure you got at least 1 good chuck for your lathe..
    It will be a pleasure, every time you use it, and save time.

That Chuck would be a good candidate for use on a Vertical Bandsaw.
    Last edited by Tundra Twin Track; 04-06-2019 at 12:29 AM.

I did find a 125mm or 5" Bison chuck, 3-jaw for 274 euros last night from a german retailer. That is a lot cheaper than what I saw previously. There was an identical looking 125 bison on the same site but over a 100 euros more expensive. The difference is "guss" and "stahl" or cast (iron? steel?) vs steel as I can gather. So what are the possible disadvantages of a cast chuck if any? It has a lower RPM rating (4000 vs 5500) but still 2x what my lathe does (1750).

Still researching the vertex chucks too.