Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Is this chuck junk??

Default Is this chuck junk??

Is this a total waste of money or not?
    I want a chuck to put on a 10" rotab on my 6x26 mill.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28341920350...MakeTrack=true

I would buy one for my welding positioner.

Default You will only know----

Quote Originally Posted by Tungsten dipper View Post
    I would buy one for my welding positioner.
    If you buy one and check it yourself, I have bought some cheap chucks which were just poor, I have bought more which were quite good.
    If you intend to use it to make a living, for a long time, do not bother, buy a Bison or similar good make instead
    . I had a cheap 3 jaw on a Taiwanese lathe and junked it 25 yrs ago, bought a Bison instead, used it for 20 years, the new owner, my former apprentice says its still good to a thous or so even now !
    Regards David Powell.

Oh boy,. even the photo -using the zoom feature- appears to show heavy machining scars and what look like small voids in the front edge of the chuck body. The jaws look like they were fashioned in a hurry using hack saws and course hand files. No way of telling what the internals might look like. "Ya pays yer money and takes yer chances", "buyer beware"...etc.
    Good luck. Let us know your opinion if you buy this.

Gary

It have to put myself solidly in the tool snob catagory insofar as $65 new chucks go...but hey, if you're thinking a $65 chuck has a remote chance of meeting your expectations, buy it. Either be a happy camper because its surprising good value, or be sure to ask for your money back if it doesn't perform. That's the best way get better quality out of this low cost tool supply chain - hit them in the pocket book.
    Last edited by Mcgyver; 04-03-2019 at 12:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post

Is your 6x26 mill one of those small bench top mills? I'm trying to picture what a 10" RT with a 3-Jaw chuck on top looks like when mounted to a 6x26 mill. How much head/quill clearance would you get on a "tall" setup like that for a 6x26 mill?
    Work hard play hard

that was what I was thinking too 3ph. I'm pretty sure Ringo has a 6x26 knee mill similar to mine (think his is a Select, mine is Grizzly) and the spindle to table distance isn't great. 11 or 12" from memory, to the extent that I'll be making a 4" riser for it this summer. The table is also not that wide and Y travel is fairly low, so I think a 6" RT would be alot more appropriate. A 5 or 6" RT is what I'm planning on making some time in the distant future.

The worst would be if the jaws are not fitted closely and there's a lot of wobble. If they are tight they could be lapped to a good clearance. Or simply used with some patience while the rubbing edges wear in. But if they are already loose there's not much that can be done to fix it.

I'm guessing that these are the chucks you'd get on a cheaper sort of import? And yeah, by the looks of the porosity we can see in the pictures I sort of wonder if these are not the rejects from even the cheap import lathe maker. Mind you at that price I could live with the porosity if the jaws are true and center to some reasonable degree. But I'd also leave enough play to allow for knocking the chuck to true. And that would mean drilling the mounting holes through the bodies to the front face and counterboring the holes to take longer screws down into T nuts. Or mount the chuck to a larger size plate that has U slots to secure it to the faceplate. Any of those would have the play needed to allow accurate centering.

I also wonder about the usefulness of a 10 inch table on a smaller knee mill such as I've got which has the same 6x26 table with the added on ends with the chip wells and handwheel bearings added to that on each end. A 10" table centered under the spindle is going to over hang the edge by quite a lot and strongly limit the Y travel. Now that can be "tricked" by making any larger parts be offset along the X axis so the table is to one side or the other of the spindle and column. But that may not be practical in some cases either.

Anyhow, it's a bit of a gamble but if it's just the rough finish and a bit of casting porosity and you find that the jaws are well fitted it'll be a real bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ringo View Post

Does it matter?

How are you going to mount it? Permanently? If not, then you're going to have to center the chuck to the table when you do use it... and there's nothing stopping you from centering the work instead of the chuck on the table. Does it matter how far it's off?

On the other hand, $65 for the chuck, $45 for shipping. Ouch... edit: ebay probably figured I'm international, thus $45. You probably don't see that.

David...
    Last edited by fixerdave; 04-03-2019 at 01:41 PM.

I glad you mention that. I first looked at depth to column of the mill (throat), I got room for that.
    But, you are correct, I got no headroom. With a chuck on top I run out of Z.
    I got the Select mill, it is a knee mill.
    The 10" rotab followed me home one day, so that is what I got to deal with.