Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Oldie mike

Quote Originally Posted by old mart View Post
    I bought a very nice NOS 25-50 mic with carbide tips made in the DDR, (East Germany) with a nice wooden box, spanner, instructions and 25mm length bar on ebay for 12. As good as my Mitutoyo's as well.
    The other week, also on ebay, I bought an old 10" Moore & Wright length bar for 7 including postage and tried it out with my Heavy duty Mitutoyo digital callipers, there was an error of 10 microns in 254mm, I don't know whether to bin the bar or the callipers!
    Very unusual to have a length bar included with an 0-25 mic. Or an 0 to anything mic for that matter. Does it zero now you have set it with the -0.01 bar?
    Ya....it zeroes quite perfectly after cleaning, oiling and adjusting the tension on the main threads. Also it now reads the length bar correctly and repeatably with -0,01mm below the 25mm mark. Assuming the length bar is true at 24,99mm, as stated by the correction marked on it. Pretty much as good as it can get even for a brand new device of such nature

I'm also hunting for some indicator dials from that era, these are also good ones, but none are available right now in my vincinity. Actually the metalworking measurement equipment from soviet era is of very good quality and really reliable. Same goes for most taps, dies and reamers....the cutting tools and inserts are 50/60 by nowadays standards. I would like to find some Elbor inserts (the original boron nitride variety), but these are pretty rare and expensive. The "Kiev institute for superhard materials" were the first ones to produce the CBN material for cutting inserts and it was known as Elbor.

The Russians call those Polish C-Clamps.

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    Haa....never heard that one before!

Well that's a nice find and the price was certainly right.
    Paul A.

Make it fit.
    You can't win and there is a penalty for trying!

Quote Originally Posted by CCWKen View Post
    Ya, and what do the Ukrainians call them?
    "People will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time they will pick themselves up and carry on" : Winston Churchill

There's no doubt that some good tooling came out of eastern Europe. 30 or so years ago I got some taps, reamers and some other bits to fill in some holes in my tooling from KBC. At the time the "quality imports" which were cheap were out of Poland. Those tools were excellent quality by any measure and I still use them.

Come to think of it that was around the same time I bought two Bison chucks. At the time THEY were the cheap import. Of course now they command a far higher price than just inflation would suggest. And again out of Poland.

A Polish guy once asked me, "how do you service a Russian helicopter? ----- with a hammer and a sickle, and if that's not enough, use a bigger hammer"

Quote Originally Posted by TGTool View Post
    Ya, and what do the Ukrainians call them?
    Tools of the enemy.
    The shortest distance between two points is a circle of infinite diameter.

Bluewater Model Engineering Society at https://sites.google.com/site/bluewatermes/

Quote Originally Posted by markx View Post
    Ya....it zeroes quite perfectly after cleaning, oiling and adjusting the tension on the main threads. Also it now reads the length bar correctly and repeatably with -0,01mm below the 25mm mark. Assuming the length bar is true at 24,99mm, as stated by the correction marked on it. Pretty much as good as it can get even for a brand new device of such nature

I'm also hunting for some indicator dials from that era, these are also good ones, but none are available right now in my vincinity. Actually the metalworking measurement equipment from soviet era is of very good quality and really reliable. Same goes for most taps, dies and reamers....the cutting tools and inserts are 50/60 by nowadays standards. I would like to find some Elbor inserts (the original boron nitride variety), but these are pretty rare and expensive. The "Kiev institute for superhard materials" were the first ones to produce the CBN material for cutting inserts and it was known as Elbor.
    Interesting story on cbn inserts:
    https://www.ctemag.com/news/industry...;-hard-turning

Elbor inserts seem quite rare compared to other soviet tooling, I have seen only few of the ”black russian diamonds” but ussr era CBN wheels are plentifull. Lots of Finns have bought russian tooling from estonian markets and we even have still few places around here that sell sovjet era NOS tools.

Is this Russian collusion you have going on here?